[Roadsters] Tech talk: Bimetallic Strip Gauge Regulator

Steve Jacobson jake7140 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 20:10:59 MDT 2012

FWIW:
Radio Shaak kit K1823RS (re-sell of a Vellman kit) is a fairly compact
(about 1.5x1") adjustable voltage reg about $20.00.  It has a small
potentiometer (aka volume knob) that allows you to adjust the output voltage
(something like 3v up to input v).  Input is 5-24v (ie: car voltage).  It
might be a bit of overkill as it has some capacitors that clean up the output
signal at various levels, but that's probably good in a car.  Some epoxy to
surround it, with ears left on for mounting holes should work, or just mount
ina small project box (with a hole to get at the pot).  I am setting up one of
these to power my video system in the race car.  Just connect a VOM (volt
meter) to the output and turn the pot to get the voltage desired.

It uses a
LM317 IC regulator which is very common. A LM7805 would also work.  There are
also simple circuits available online that use a variable pot.  The individual
components are very cheap if you go that route.  It looks like Moss just
clamped one one of those IC regulators, with a few other components
(transistors mainly) inside the original case to set it at whatever it was at.
(deleted the prev emails with all the good info).

I'm not an electronics
guru, just messing around as I go. And I certainly don't know if the
instruments need a pulsed voltage, but if they do, this type of device would
not work as they are designed to output constant voltages.

Cell phone
chargers are interesting items as well, but are generally lower voltages.  I'm
sure all the Frankensteins like me have drawers filled with all the left over
chargers/converters like me, don't they?  They come in handy to replace
battery powered stuff, or just convert stuff for powered car use. ex: cell
phone charger wired into the video recorder via a gutted battery; all my
in-car video stuff (multi-cam) has been powered by various
chargers/converters; a long extension cord now powers the pitching machine was
supposed to use 8 D cell batts.  Imagine how short-lived (and ever-slower)
that would have been.

Steve

Steve's racing web site
www.NoNameRacing.com