[Roadsters] paint question, my opinion (<.02 value)

O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Wed Aug 28 13:07:37 MDT 2013

Stripping to bare is then going to require an etching primer, which is outside
most DIY home processes, (those etching fumes do a number on your lung
tissues, as does any airborne epoxy) and requires the primer to be applied
very soon after removal, so precludes home sanding (unless you sand and DIY
prime, then they blast/remove your primer and re-prime, which sounds
redundant)

Anyway, we can mention now that we miss Enrique Scanlon, the Z car and
roadster paint expert.

Primers are not waterproof, so primer only does rust.
Primers that sit a while (our rule is anything over 3 days) have to be
re-activated, meaning a light scuff before paint.
Most will admit that successful painting is about a clean substrate (surface),
not necessarily a bare surface.  If original primer is well adhered, I'd leave
it and only remove the old paint.  Scuff it well, clean it extremely well, and
paint from there.

Just from my limited experience, current value <.02 American.