[Roadsters] Not a very interesting topic so far today, but I'm new so let's try this: dieseling out

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Sun Feb 23 20:35:41 MST 2014

Chris,

Sounds like you have the original (emission control) cam and springs
in the distributor.  34 total advance is fine, but it should be 16 BTDC at
idle in non-smog configuration.  You need to get a distributor conversion kit
from one of the suppliers and change out both the cam and springs.  You then
get 16 BTDC at idle (700 rpm) and 34 BTDC at full advance.  DO NOT simply
reset the timing at idle, or you will have way too much at speed.  If you can
fathom what parts to order from the Nissan parts manual, you may be able to
get the cam and springs from a dealer.  Since you had to "mess with the
springs" to get them to do anything, I'd replace the guts of the distributor,
or get a competent electronic conversion, ~$400.

As far as needing to pull
out the choke to get the car to accelerate, I had such a problem above about
4500 rpm at wide open throttle.  Turns out I had leaking throttle shafts, and
when I set the mixture at idle so the car would run right, it was too lean at
speed.  So, if you run down all other possibilities, and can't find the
problem, Z-Therapy can solve it for you for about $700 and you'll never have
to worry about it again.  (I was able to but new throttle bodies back in the
day for about $150 apiece, so that's the route I went.  If I needed SUs
rebuilt today, I'd use Z-Therapy.)

Oil in the carburetors should be confined
to the center dashpot tubes.  It's there to slow the piston opening when the
throttle is suddenly opened fully at low rpm.  Otherwise the car will stumble.
 These are variable venturi carburetors without accelerator pumps.  As one of
the other respondents said, very easy to work on once you understand how they
operate -- and eliminate throttle shaft leakage.

Gary