[Roadsters] How hot is hot??

Gordon Glasgow gsglasgow at comcast.net
Sat Mar 1 11:10:36 MST 2014

Since the motor will want to stop at a point where compression pressures are
equalized, I've found that bumping it with the starter usually works. It's
easy to tell on a 2 liter because you can see the cam lobes. You'll always
have one intake and one exhaust pointing "mostly up" so you can adjust both
of those valves. Usually I can get all eight valves only bumping the starter
three times.

I start by making sure the engine is thoroughly warmed up, then I let it
"heat soak" for a couple of minutes while I get my tools together. From that
point I can usually adjust the valves in 10 minutes without hurrying.

If you aren't comfortable with the starter-bump method, then pulling the
spark plugs will make it a lot easier to turn the engine by hand. You can
probably do it by grabbing the fan. This should save time.

Gordon Glasgow