[Roadsters] Cleaning transmission

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Nov 6 19:55:29 MST 2014

I'll address the original question.  No, I have never heard of anyone cleaning a manual trans without dismantling it.  If there were metal shavings or dirt in the gear oil when it was drained, then the trans should be dismantled and the worn parts replaced.

Also, I'll echo whomever said to pay attention to the counter shaft and counter shaft bearings:  They should both be replaced when the trans is out of the car, unless one has knowledge that the shaft and bearings have very few miles on them.  Even then, the shaft and bearings should be inspected.  The replacement can be performed without dismantling the trans.

Gary