[Roadsters] Not buying 1500 Motor temperature gauge

Charlie Hubbard charlie at hubco.com
Mon Sep 21 16:35:04 MDT 2015

Just wanted everyone to know that my 64 SPL310 is now back on the road here
in the Dallas/Ft Worth area and I'm making progress with shaking down all
the nagging issues that go with such an old ride.  The temp gauge shows to
be running too  hot, but I think that I've proven that the exhaust is
cooking my after-market temperature gauge sending unit.  I used one of those
infrared laser pointed thermometers to take temperature readings on the
radiator, upper hoses and thermostat housing.  I replaced the thermostat,
timed the motor, set the carbs, changed the antifreeze with 50/50 distilled
water & Water Wetter and the radiator to a recovery system (thanks Graeme).
All temperature reading on the thermostat, radiator and hoses ranged 180-187
F.  The temperature sender was 190-230 deg., depending on if you were
pointing it to the left side of the sender or the right side (nearest the
exhaust manifold).  I think that the after-market gauge is accurate, but
it's getting cooked by the exhaust manifold.  What a stupid place to put a
temperature sensor!

Has anyone  taken similar readings on your motor hot spots?  It would be
nice to know what temperature the other 64 1500 motors are running.

Respectfully,

Charlie Hubbard
charlie at hubco.com <mailto:chubbard at gohubco.com>