[Roadsters] !966 1600 Brake Master Cylinder help

Fred Katz roadster at astound.net
Mon Mar 7 16:03:12 MST 2016

Try refurbishing your old master cylinder. Clean it up real good with solvent. I think there is a clip holding the moveable insert sleeve from exiting, remove that. And I think there is a retaining screw that fits in a slot on the insert sleeve; remove that screw.

Then with the open end facing down, drop the master cylinder on a wooden floor. The force of gravity will free the insert sleeve and you can fully remove it. If the bore is not in bad shape, you can use a fine emery cloth to clean any obstructions and grime from the bore. Likewise clean the sleeve. Put it back together and bleed the brakes and see if it works.

If not, look around for a rebuild kit, or resleeve the bore, or get a replacement. Doesn’t hurt to spend an hour on trying to clean up the old master cylinder to see if it is salvageable.

Fred - SSF, CA