[Roadsters] !966 1600 Brake Master Cylinder help

Charles Hubbard charlie at hubco.com
Mon Mar 7 17:10:12 MST 2016

Mick,

I would have it sleeved in stainless steel and rebuild it.  This is a more permanent fix. These cars sit for long periods of time.  The combination of a steel piston with an aluminum cylinder is a recipe for  corrosion.  I decided that it's a waste of money to buy new cylinders when the OEM is a bad design.  Put the master in a vice, apply some heat with a propane torch to the outside and use a large screw driver twist the cylinder until it breaks free.  If it's locked up tight, spray rust eater into it and let it soak overnight.  Once it is broken free and moving, you may be able to get it out with some needle-nose vice grips and a lot of patience.  Smacking it onto a block of wood can also get it loose and moving.  You can also try compressed air to blow it out, but be VERY careful to point it toward a foam pad or something soft, as it can and probably will come out like a bullet.

I used Karps Power Brake Service for all of my wheel cylinders and they did an excellent job.  Here is their URL:  http://www.karpspowerbrake.com/

A little patience will pay off.  Good luck!

Respectfully,

Charlie Hubbard
1964 SPL310 Fairlady