[Roadsters] Not Datsun-specific, but relevant to the subject of reviving older vehicles

Gary McCormick gkmcc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 30 17:08:19 MST 2018

Has anyone used denatured alcohol to clean the varnish out of an old gas
tank that hadn't been drained before being left to sit? I have been
using it on a motorcycle gas tank and it seems to work pretty well.

First I sloshed some mineral spirits around in the tank, which seemed to
clean it up a bit, then I switched to denatured alcohol. After soaking
overnight with about half a quart of alcohol in the two-gallon gas tank,
the alcohol looked like Guinness when I poured it out. I've gone through
two more iterations, and it has come out cleaner and clearer each time.
Once the alcohol comes out clear, I'll dry the tank out really well with
compressed air and switch to gasoline. With any luck I'll be firing up
the little beastie before the weekend.

Gary McCormick
1970 2000 Roadster SRL311-13291
San Jose, CA