[Roadsters] Not Datsun-specific, but relevant to the subject of reviving older vehicles

Stephen Holst stephen.holst at randrglobal.com
Wed Jan 31 10:11:02 MST 2018

Hi:
Lots of people use gasoline stabilizers in their old cars.  The major active
ingredient in these products are light mineral oils (so called Pale oils
­kerosene some are diesel fuel) these oils tend to coat metals and inhibit
corrosion-indeed gasoline is really a very very light mineral oil.  Methyl
Alcohol will strip the oil coatings from metal products.  Without these
protective films and with the current composition of gasoline 10 percent
ethanol (ethanol contain at least 5 % water and is hydroscopic so will
attract more) rust is the inevitable consequence.  So beware.  Use Ave gas
or gas without ethanol in any case if the protective oil film has been
removed recoat with something like gas stabilizer, kerosene or Diesel.
Diesel is a good substitute for stabilizers and also offers a cleaning agent
(since it has an automotive detergent built in)  for the SU carbs and float
systems.
Steve
SRL 2000