[Roadsters] Aftermarket Radio

Neil Levine nalevine at dcn.org
Tue Aug 20 16:49:48 MDT 2019

Hello out there!

Has anyone placed a single DIN radio into a '66 style roadster center
console?

I replaced the original radio many years ago with a Sanyo AM/FM cassette
radio which operated fine until recently.  I had to nibble out the center
opening to make it fit but was able to use the original knob holes in the
console. I'd like to update to a more modern radio, but they all seem to be
the DIN size.  There is enough room in the console for the DIN standard
height and depth, but the width is not quite enough for the DIN box or
bracket.  I think the DIN radio itself might just fit without the DIN
bracket but with some additional nibbling in the front panel.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions, especially if anyone has done this
already and what to look out for, etc.  Also, is there any modern radio that
you would recommend?

Thanks All,

Neil

'66 SPL311