Subject: [DMVR] Seat Time

From: "al cram" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:48:08 -0600

Rhett,
At the risk of getting banned from any future posts I'll give you my
take on seat time.  It is the single MOST important thing in your desire
to improve as a driver.  My advice is this:
Go to the once monthly autocross event and do your best.
Buy a kart, even if it's only a decent Briggs powered kart.  The Four
tires for the kart will cost less than one tire for your autocross car.
You can go to Marshalltown the other 3 Sundays of the month and get 2 10
minute practice sessions and 3 10 minute races in Briggs, Yamaha, or
shifter karts depending on your budget and preference.  Let's just
compare.  On Sunday, if you get four  autocross runs and the courses are
long at one minute each that's four minutes.  If you get to 10 events
over the summer that's 40 minutes of seat time.  In one Sunday at
Marshalltown you'll get 50 minutes of seat time.  The skills of car
control, concentration, feel for the traction circle all transfer, just
ask Michael S., Tony Stewart, and other that started in karts.  It's
just my opinion but it can be a short cut to build seat time and skills
that will serve you well on the autocross course.

Al Cram
Old Duffer Racing