Subject: [DMVR] Re: Chief Stewards As.....

From: "Marina Kraft" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:36:15 -0500

Bart -
the GCR does refer to Stewards operating during a session with a family member in it.  Recommended not to operate during that session.  I have never known a situation where a steward would also race at an event.

Regarding other specialties I don't believe there is anything specific at least not that I have come across in the GCR.   My thoughts as being a Race Chair, and most of this becomes somewhat common sense decision when you are a chief.  It is VERY difficult if not impossible to be a competitor as well as a chief.  Mainly because one of those hats you are trying to wear will suffer from not being able to give it your 100%  When a person has committed to be a chief the rest of the team is expecting them to give it your all.  A chief is really held accountable for a lot things that go on at a race.  However, as far as MAM is concerned the only 2 specialties that have had this dual situation has been T&S, and Tech.  This was an initial issue because we had only a couple of people that had the license level required to do this specialty.  Candy (t&s) would run the regional race on saturday, (regional races does not require a national licensed person to chief).  Candy would still be chief, but someone else would step in a chief for the session that she was running her Neon.  Tech, Mark Beacom was our sole national licensed person so when he was out on track with his AS, we would have Frank Diringer (DA) step in for that session.  Tech is no longer an issue as we have a new chief this year.

My 3 cents is that a chief should not be a competitor as well.  From my competitor perspective side, I want that competitor to have his 100% attention on his car and his safety.  From my chief side, I want every chief to have 100% of their attention given to their job and ensuring that the event is running smoothly and safely.

Marina

>>> <[email-masked]> 6/28/2006 2:57 PM >>>
...competitors. The question to all of you experienced (notice that I  did 
not say old) workers:
 
Do any of you know whether or not a Chief (or any other steward) can race  on 
the same weekend that they are working to fill their working duties? I have  
yet to find anything in the GCR concerning this and am looking for  
anecdotal's/opinions from this you folks.
 
Bart 

______________________________________________________________________
Important:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain
information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution
of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.
Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any
unintended recipients and delete the original message without making
any copies.
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: "" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:40:09 -0700

I agree with Marina. On the club racing side, there have been Stewards who will race one day and then work as a Steward the other day. But their assignment for the weekend was not as the Chief. They were usually either a Safety Steward or Assist. Chief Steward/Operating Steward.

Nancy

--- [email-masked] wrote:

From: "Marina Kraft" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,	<[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,	<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Chief Stewards As.....
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:36:15 -0500

Bart -

Marina

 
Bart 

_____________________________________________________________
Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

---

From: "Marina Kraft" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:42:17 -0500

Dan -

Let me tell you how wrong I feel you are in your analogy below, I would not say its apples to oranges.  Solo and Road Racing are 2 entities that SCCA has to offer.  Both groups fall under the SCCA umbrella, insurance, and both groups follow very similar, if not some of same rules to operate an event.  This from applying for sanction, applying for insurance, to audit followup of an event, even identifying chiefs.  I would encourage you to take a look at the GCR and compare it to the Solo Rules book, I think you will see how similar some things are.  

Whether is Solo, or a Road race, the organizers for the event and the chiefs have a big responsiblity to follow & enforce SCCA rules that are written to ensure maximum safety to competitors, workers, crews, and spectators.  In following rules and maximizing safety it will minimize the liability to the club as a whole, and your region.

I would encourage anyone, be it from our Solo program, or Racing, or Rally to embrace the knowledge of your fellow members.  We have a wealth of knowledge in our members, all anyone has to do is ask for some help.  Amazingly, DMVR people are always there to pitch in.

Not just "another racer",  I have had a little experience in the race event planning and execution. I encourage you to look outside your box and enjoy what DMVR and its members have to offer.

Marina Kraft
SCCA National Administrator - Race Administration
2006 National Runoffs Race Chairman

>>> "Dan Slater" <[email-masked]> 6/28/2006 7:57 PM >>>
Isn't comparing Road Racing to Solo like comparing apples to oranges? Since you are asking road race people you may also want to contact NHRA, NASCAR, IRL, CART, D1 (drifting) and who ever else I have missed.  They are all different forms of motorsports and have different rules so you cannot compare them to each other.  

Dan Slater
Slater Racing
http://www.slateracing.com<http://www.slateracing.com/>
http://www.dmvrscca.org<http://www.dmvrscca.org/>
"It's true - I have a problem.  I'm addicted to cars." - Tim Allen as Tim Taylor (Home Improvement)
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ; [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> 
  Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:57 PM
  Subject: [DMVR] Chief Stewards As.....

   
  Bart 
  _______________________________________________
  DMVR mailing list
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr<http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:29:49 EDT

Dan; 
My response to this message of yours will be available at the membership  
meeting in written form along with copies of the DMVR Solo  Supplemental Rules.
I just don't believe that a simple e-mail type of response to your message  
as written below is suitable for this format. 
Hope to see you at the 7/11 membership meeting.
 
Bart
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
In a message dated 7/1/2006 7:40:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

They are 2 completely different sports are far as I have seen.  Solo  does 
not require licensed chiefs or workers like road racing.  Solo  drivers are in 
there far for a 45 second run and in there cars 10 mins before  that.  Road 
racing you are in the cars a lot longer.  Prep time for  a road race car is a ton 
more than the avg solo car since most of the solo  cars do not run race tires 
they just show up toss the stuff out and ready to  go.  As for the workers 
the drivers work in solo the drivers do not or I  will say the majority of them 
do not work in road racing.  Like I think  you said they may race one day and 
work the next but our drivers work, drive,  work, drive and so on.  Like I 
said two completely diff sports and yes  they are under the same umbrella but 
that is not what we are talking  about.  We are talking about they way the events 
are run and you cannot  compare the 2 of them.  they are completely separate  
entities.

---

From: "Dan Slater" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 19:39:26 -0500

They are 2 completely different sports are far as I have seen.  Solo does not
require licensed chiefs or workers like road racing.  Solo drivers are in
there far for a 45 second run and in there cars 10 mins before that.  Road
racing you are in the cars a lot longer.  Prep time for a road race car is a
ton more than the avg solo car since most of the solo cars do not run race
tires they just show up toss the stuff out and ready to go.  As for the
workers the drivers work in solo the drivers do not or I will say the majority
of them do not work in road racing.  Like I think you said they may race one
day and work the next but our drivers work, drive, work, drive and so on.
Like I said two completely diff sports and yes they are under the same
umbrella but that is not what we are talking about.  We are talking about they
way the events are run and you cannot compare the 2 of them.  they are
completely separate entities.

Dan Slater
Slater Racing
http://www.slateracing.com<http://www.slateracing.com/>
http://www.dmvrscca.org<http://www.dmvrscca.org/>
"It's true - I have a problem.  I'm addicted to cars." - Tim Allen as Tim
Taylor (Home Improvement)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Marina Kraft<mailto:[email-masked]>
  To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:42 PM
  Subject: Re: [DMVR] Chief Stewards As.....

  Dan -

  Let me tell you how wrong I feel you are in your analogy below, I would not
say its apples to oranges.  Solo and Road Racing are 2 entities that SCCA has
to offer.  Both groups fall under the SCCA umbrella, insurance, and both
groups follow very similar, if not some of same rules to operate an event.
This from applying for sanction, applying for insurance, to audit followup of
an event, even identifying chiefs.  I would encourage you to take a look at
the GCR and compare it to the Solo Rules book, I think you will see how
similar some things are.

  Whether is Solo, or a Road race, the organizers for the event and the chiefs
have a big responsiblity to follow & enforce SCCA rules that are written to
ensure maximum safety to competitors, workers, crews, and spectators.  In
following rules and maximizing safety it will minimize the liability to the
club as a whole, and your region.

  I would encourage anyone, be it from our Solo program, or Racing, or Rally
to embrace the knowledge of your fellow members.  We have a wealth of
knowledge in our members, all anyone has to do is ask for some help.
Amazingly, DMVR people are always there to pitch in.

  Not just "another racer",  I have had a little experience in the race event
planning and execution. I encourage you to look outside your box and enjoy
what DMVR and its members have to offer.

  Marina Kraft

  >>> "Dan Slater" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
6/28/2006 7:57 PM >>>
  Isn't comparing Road Racing to Solo like comparing apples to oranges? Since
you are asking road race people you may also want to contact NHRA, NASCAR,
IRL, CART, D1 (drifting) and who ever else I have missed.  They are all
different forms of motorsports and have different rules so you cannot compare
them to each other.

  Dan Slater
  Slater Racing
  http://www.slateracing.com<http://www.slateracing.com/<http://www.slateraci
ng.com<http://www.slateracing.com/>>
  http://www.dmvrscca.org<http://www.dmvrscca.org/<http://www.dmvrscca.org<ht
tp://www.dmvrscca.org/>>
  "It's true - I have a problem.  I'm addicted to cars." - Tim Allen as Tim
Taylor (Home Improvement)
    ----- Original Message -----
    From:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:BSHol
[email-masked]>>
    To:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mai
lto:[email-masked]>>
    Cc:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:Cg
[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:JTHOR11@
aol.com>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:HEALE
[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:huxroad
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:jigou
@raquet.net>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:Jennifer.Igou@k
emin.com<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:mkraft@meta
bankonline.com<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<
mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]
et<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:Rick.Talbot@TERRU
S.com<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:bjeddy@mailstatio
n.com<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:FirstGenera
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:Mjrjs
[email-masked]>>
    Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:57 PM
    Subject: [DMVR] Chief Stewards As.....

    Do any of you know whether or not a Chief (or any other steward) can race
on
    the same weekend that they are working to fill their working duties? I
have
    yet to find anything in the GCR concerning this and am looking for
    anecdotal's/opinions from this you folks.

    Bart
    _______________________________________________
    DMVR mailing list
    [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]>>
    http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr<http://www.team.net/mailman/lis
tinfo/dmvr<http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr<http://www.team.net/mail
man/listinfo/dmvr>>