Subject: [DMVR] 2006 Runoffs at HPT - It's official!

From: Ric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 02:39:10 -0600

For Immediate Release

SCCA RUNOFFS. MOVES TO HEARTLAND PARK TOPEKA IN 2006

TOPEKA, Kan. (Jan. 6, 2004) Sports Car Club of America, Inc. (SCCA.)
announced today the results of a December vote by its Board of Directors to
move the largest event of its kind in the world, the annual National
Championship Runoffs., to Heartland Park Topeka (Topeka, Kan.) beginning in
2006. Heartland Park becomes just the fifth host in the events history,
dating back to 1964.

Considered the signature event put on by SCCA, the National Championship
Runoffs have been hosted by Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Lexington, Ohio)
since 1994. Mid-Ohio enjoyed four-consecutive three-year contracts for the
event, running through the 2005 season, and the event experienced
tremendous growth throughout its tenure. Heartland Park looks to continue
the growth beginning with a three-year contract (2006-2008) for the event
naming the SCCA Club Racing National Champions.

"The SCCA Board of Directors believes that the event is due for a change,
and, while there were a number of great bids, Heartland Park Topeka put
together a proposal that earned the next contract of the Runoffs", said
SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson. "The track and the city of Topeka
have big shoes to fill after a wonderful run at Mid-Ohio, but we believe
they are up to the task to provide a great setting for the next chapter in
Runoffs' history."

"Heartland Park Topeka is proud to be the new host for the next era of the
SCCA National Championship Runoffs", Heartland Park Topeka Owner Raymond
Irwin said. "We believe that the Topeka community and Heartland Park will
present not only a world class championship event, but also will provide
our SCCA competitors and fans a hometown friendly atmosphere second to none."

The first-ever "Interdivisional Championship", later referred to as the
"Runoffs", was held at Riverside Raceway (Riverside, Calif.) in 1964, and
alternated coasts with Daytona International Raceway (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
through 1969. In 1970, the event began a 24-year run at Road Atlanta
(Braselton, Ga.), before moving to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in 1994.

The event has grown in both size and stature over the years, with more than
700 drivers from across the country making the annual trek for the event
that spans an entire week, preceded by an additional week of optional
testing. The sheer number of competitors makes the Runoffs the largest
annual amateur road racing event in the world, and results in an average
local economic impact of over $10 million each year.

The Runoffs annually crown the National Champions of SCCA Club Racing's
National level classes (currently 23). Drivers from across North America
race locally to earn points, with the top-10 qualifying drivers from the
eight SCCA Divisions in each class earning an invitation to compete in the
event. The list of past Runoffs Champions is a who's who in road racing
history that includes Skip Barber, Michael Galati, Paul Newman, Bobby
Rahal, Greg Ray, Boris Said and Scott Sharp. The 2004 event broke the
all-time record for drivers shooting for gold in what's referred to as the
"Olympics" of motorsports, with 732 drivers competing in 24 classes.

Heartland Park becomes the first venue west of the Mississippi River to
host the event since 1968, and moves what Car and Driver magazine called
one of the "10 Best Motorsports Events" to the most centrally-located road
course facility in the contiguous 48 states.

"The Board of Directors reached a consensus after weighing the options and
bids, and selected Heartland Park Topeka as the location best meeting the
criteria of creating a positive experience for all participants", Johnson
added. "By 2006, Heartland Park will feature a large, level, paved Runoffs
paddock and grid area, a Runoffs-specific track configuration and room for
growth. The Board is also impressed with the great selection of
accommodations, restaurants and services that the city of Topeka has to
offer, as well as the community support for Heartland Park and motorsports
in general from both a private sector and governmental standpoint on a city
and state level."

Heartland Park Topeka was constructed in the capital city of Kansas at a
cost of nearly $22 million and opened in 1989.  In its first ten race
seasons, Heartland Park hosted major events for the National Hot Rod
Association (NHRA), International Motor Sports Association (IMSA), SCCA Pro
Racing and the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. NHRA drag racing has remained
a consistent part of the Heartland Park Topeka schedule, but high-profile
road racing at the facility has lagged since the late 1990's.

Already the owner of the Blackhawk Farms road racing facility, in Rockton,
Ill., Irwin purchased Heartland Park Topeka in 2003 and received a $5
million commitment from the city of Topeka in 2004 for road course facility
upgrades. Improvements scheduled prior to the 2006 National Championship
Runoffs include new road course garages, a road course control tower and
timing facility, showers, additional concessions, spectator viewing areas,
an expansion of the current paddock to accommodate 1,000 participants, new
camping and parking areas and a complete repaving of the circuit as well as
a number of changes to the track layout.

The SCCA National Championship Runoffs contract runs for three-year
periods. During the second year of each contract, SCCA extends a Request
for Proposal for the next contract. Upon reviewing the returned bids, the
Board of Directors votes on the new contract prior to the final year on the
existing contract. Key points to proposals include the racing facility,
pre-event testing, hospitality, event support, local infrastructure,
community involvement, media services, ticket pricing, sponsorship and
deliverables revenue, and sanction and promoter fees.

The date for the 2006 Runoffs has not yet been announced. The 2005 SCCA
National Championship Runoffs Presented by Kohler will be held Sept. 19-25
at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

For additional information about Sports Car Club of America, please visit
<http://www.scca.com/>www.scca.com.

For additional information about Heartland Park Topeka, please visit
<http://www.hpt.com/>www.hpt.com.

-30-

Contact:          Eric Prill, SCCA,
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked], (800) 770-2055
                       Jamie Overocker, Heartland Park Topeka,
<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked], (785) 862-4781

For an online media kit, including Runoffs images, logos and track maps,
please visit:
<http://www.scca.com/Club/index.asp?reference=06ro>http://www.scca.com/Club/i
ndex.asp?reference=06ro
_______________________

Eric Prill
Director of Communications
Sports Car Club of America
SCCA Pro Racing/SPEED World Challenge
785-357-7222, 785-232-7228 fax
800-770-2055 toll free
785-250-7920 mobile
<mailto:[email-masked]>eprill<mailto:[email-masked]>@scca.com

www.scca.com, <http://www.sccapro.com>www.sccapro.com,
www.world-challenge.com