Subject: [DMVR] Bore vs. Stroke

From: "Karl T" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:34:24 -0500

Oddball question.

All other things being equal, will there be an effect on Torque and/or HP if
2 engines of same displacement achieve this displacement by different
combinations of Bore & Stroke?  I'm going to assume increase/decrease in
piston weight would be offset by an equal decrease/increase in rod weight.
I'll not worry about max rpm due to different rod angles, etc.  But if two
engines of same displacement via different bores & strokes were both run at
equal RPM, would there be a difference in HP and/or Torque?

Just wondering just because.

Thanks
Karl T

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]

---

From: "Becky Scholtec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:52:24 -0500

Interesting question, and my memory tells me that one of the mainstream car
mags - I want to say Car and Driver - had an interesting article on the
subject a couple of years ago.  And it looks like last month's issue of Hot
Rod (June) had an article where they built two engines nearly identical in
every way but bore and stoke, but the test is no longer online.  Meanwhile,
I found these relevant resources, and the definitive answer seems to be, "It
depends."

http://www.badassmustangs.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=2df2052c172a080a859a7f0f6ca5209e&topic=6123.0

http://g-speed.com/pbh/bore-vs-stroke.html

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=64361

Ron Gilbert