Subject: [DMVR] Airbags & Helmets - Full Text

From: Ric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 19:31:21 -0600

Participant Bulletin
DATE: November 16, 2004
FROM: National Staff
TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Airbag Advisory

It has been brought to the attention of SCCA Technical Services that the 
use of full-face or closed-face helmets while driving vehicles with active 
airbag restraint systems may result in injuries in the event of a crash 
that deploys the airbag. Because of the location of the steering wheel 
relative to a driver's position, the airbag axis is on a level with the 
driver's chin. In a crash with airbag deployment, contact with the chin 
area of a full-face helmet can be so powerful "that the risk of fractures 
to the jaw cannot be ruled out" (Hubert Gramling, FIA Institute, FT3/AF, 
18.5.1999). This applies to vehicle that may be used in Solo, RallyCross, 
High Performance Car Control Clinics, etc.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that full-face helmets not be used in 
vehicles with functional airbag systems. Potentially more restrictive 
language is currently being considered for 2005, which could appear in an 
early 2005 issue of FasTrack.

If you have any questions, please contact the SCCA at (800) 770-2055.