Subject: [DMVR] Muscle car find - feel like crying your eyes out?

From: Karl T <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 19:37:30 -0800 (PST)

Link to main site:  http://www.depereautocenter.com/
 
There's a set of Corvette big block heads that a quick search on the 'Net
shows them going for about $7-8k......

OK I'll give you the short version which will probably end up being the
long version so we'll call it my version. All of this started a while back
with my trying to locate the lemans blue '69 yenko camaro that was sold
out of Broadway Chevrolet in Green Bay, which has not been found yet to my
knowledge.

I found out in early june that there was still a '69 Yenko Camaro in Green
Bay and I got the owners name (Dumpster Don) however I wasn't able to get
ahold of him...come to find out he had recently died, I was then able to
contact his brother (no help there...they didn't get along) and then his
sister who I had found was the executor of his will....now let me tell you
about Don Schlag...as you may have noticed earlier in the post he was
affectionately nicknamed "Dumpster Don".

His dad owned a farm implement dealership in Green Bay which was then
given to him by his father which he ran. So you have a guy that's never
been married with a decent cash flow from his own business that liked
Chevy stuff - Great Recipe. Don would buy things and never sell them and
he kept much of it in the basement of the implement building until he sold
it at which point he had to move stuff out (that location now is an auto
parts store) and the stuff went into trailers. He kept living in a
"cracker jack box" house that was next to the dealership and if you walked
in the front door that's about as far as you would get because there were
Chevy parts piled all over the place.

You may wonder how he got all those fuel injection units...well whenever
people would have a problem with their poorly running injection unit he
would simply trade them for a consistent intake/carb set up. About 10
years ago one of his trailers was broken into which is why the trailors
were then all welded closed and placed through out the Green Bay area.

I'm sure you are all interested in the Yenko Camaro...a little history
first - in talking to a friend of mine he vividly remembers 2 '69 yenko
camaros running around green bay in the '70s, one orange and the other
green...no blue one...dealer trade perhaps? anyways, Don picked up the
orange car around 1971 for either $1200 or $1500 bucks from the original
owner and from what i have been able to find out the owner history is
known (Don kept a record on the car) back to the original owner and the
orange car was sold new through Broadway in Green Bay. Most of this info I
have recently found out talking with people who knew Don many of which
didn't know what he had because he was a very quiet person and never
talked about much.

Moving on...I was able to persue the car due to the assistance of a fellow
syc member based on the potential selling price of the car (he will remain
unnamed unless he wishes to make himself known and which I am very
thankful to in allowing me the apportunity to persue the car without any
worries) when I contacted Don's sister she had mentioned that she knew
that Don a '69 Camaro and I told her I was interested in it as well as be
willing to assist in any other way possible...

long story short, we had a verbal agreement in late june/early july that I
would get first chance at the car when they got around to them and she
didn't think that they would get around to them until spring...so fall
comes around and she tells me there has been a guy helping out and he's
interested in the car and she thought it was only fair he got a chance as
well...then come mid of November I call every month like she suggested for
an update and she tells me that she sold the entire thing to the guy that
was helping them out...which is Larry the current owner of the
stuff...talk about your heart falling into your ass...

I left out a lot of the conversational pieces between Don's sister and I
just cause they don't need to be included, but the point here is and this
goes with the topic of trusting someone's word and that is...DON'T trust
somebody's word, especially when there is money involved...ALWAYS discuss
a selling price and get a written document!...looking back it was
difficult at the time to be aggressive yet patient seeing as how the
brother had just died and not knowing the sister personally, but they
wanted to sell everything so they wouldn't have to deal with it all and he
was there with the cash...the family was asking $1 million for everything
and Larry got it for a little less than that and he is looking for bids in
the 7-figure range.

Back when the stuff hadn't sold yet, the VIN number that Roger posted that
he was told is the same VIN that I got from Don's sister off of the title
which begs the question...where's the discrepancy come in...is it the VV
Cooke car?...I could go on and on about this seeing as how I kept my mouth
shut about this since late May only to have the car taken out from under
me...but, I'm much wiser for it...what really upsets me is that this stuff
was bought to flip, not for the love of the hobby but for the money to be
made off of it...I will be viewing this stuff next week wednesday and will
get as much info as possible...i guess since there is nothing to talk
about in regards to the packers this season, something had to happen worth
talking about...only is 'sconsin. Now onto the next great Wisconsin
find!...