Subject: [DMVR] Schedule Updates

From: "Rhett Farnum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 01:42:44 -0500

Hey,
Big thanks to Ric and the guys that are running the website for updating the 
schedules so that both of them are now accurate!!

But when are we going to be able to see the results and points for the past 
2 events?

Peace Out,
Rhett
Rocco_crossing
'83 Rocco (autocross ready, tune up, install harness, and finally I may get 
to makeing it look better!!)

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 14:14:04 -0500

The results from the March Solo have been posted.  Here is Ric's note to 
the list:

"Oh, here's something useful... The results and links to photos for the 
March DMVR Solo 2 are posted at www.dmvrscca.org/s2_0303r.htm  and the Solo 
2 schedule page has been updated with Iowa Region and MiDiv Solotime Series 
events.

Ric"

Sam

At 01:42 AM 5/1/2003 -0500, Rhett Farnum wrote:
>Hey,
>Big thanks to Ric and the guys that are running the website for updating 
>the schedules so that both of them are now accurate!!
>
>But when are we going to be able to see the results and points for the 
>past 2 events?
>
>Peace Out,
>Rhett
>Rocco_crossing
>'83 Rocco (autocross ready, tune up, install harness, and finally I may 
>get to makeing it look better!!)

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 00:11:53 -0500

Hello.

For those of you not familiar with the greatest motorsports website in
existence, Motorsport.com, go there now!  Tons of info on every series in
existence without all the self-serving hype or spin.  And you don't have to
put-up with the NASCrap.

In addition, they also have an excellent racing news email subscription
service.  You can select either news in general, or you can narrow it down
to specific series, INCLUDING SCCA CLUB, SOLO, PRO, TRANS AM, WORLD
CHALLENGE, ETC.  Go to http://www.motorsport.com/etc/subscribe.asp  You can
then select the format you wish.

THE EMAIL ADDRESS I USE FOR THIS SERVICE IS USED FOR ONLY 'DIRECT' ITEMS AND
I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A SINGLE PIECE OF SPAM SINCE JOINING ABOUT 10 LISTS
WITHIN THE SERVICE.

This is were the info for workers comes in.  There is a 'Safety' news group.
Now there are going to be stories that do not relate directly to what we do,
such as info on series adding crash data recorders, etc., but there are
stories (for) us.

It may help that there are at least a couple of SCCA members associated with
the site.

Just thought I'd pass on.

Karl T

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 11:57:49 -0500

While I realize I am speaking to a still growing audience, I need to present
the following:

Drifting by email or download

As DMVR members know each month the club sends-out Drifting, our newsletter.
At present we are limited to a maximum of 12 pages per month by postage and
printing costs.  This fact means that most months myself and Monica Shaw are
forced to choose what items do NOT make it into drifting.  Be it event
photos, event stories, technical articles, or what have you.  We simply do
not have the space each month.  And recent expectations and requests by some
members in what they expect Drifting to contain each month will soon have to
be deflated and met with reality; we do not have space to run pictures and
details of what every participant did in every event each month.  We do not
even have the space for national or divisional SCCA information and updates.

This is where my request comes to be.  Receiving Drifting by email or by
downloading it from the club web-site.

There are several points to consider:

o Printing costs will only continue to go up.  We are lucky in that we do
presently receive a discount rate, but that may not always be.
o Postage costs will only continue to go up.  We do not have the volume to
obtain Bulk Rate discounts.
o If you have the ability to read this email there is no reason you can't
obtain Drifting electronically.  Then if you NEED to print it you can do so.
o If we are able to narrow the postal mailing of Drifting to those who truly
need it, we will reduce costs to the club.
o If we are able to narrow the postal mailing of Drifting to those who truly
need it, we may consider enlarging the size of Drifting each month.
o If we are able to expand an electronic Drifting we will be able to include
more member information, event details, tech articles, news articles, event
photos, etc.
o The electronic version of Drifting is done so in Adobe PDF format which is
read using Adobe Acrobat, A FREE SOFTWARE PROGRAM.
o The money saved on reducing the publishing costs of Drifting can be better
spent elsewhere in the club.  Awards, events, promotions, etc.
o The problems experienced with the previous electronic Drifting have been
resolved.  Unless you are using a Commodore64 you should have no problems.
o You will have a saved copy of Drifting that will not age, mildew or turn
yellow.  And unless you have serious problems, will not be stained by
coffee......
o I will continue to hound you until you do sign-up for electronic Drifting.

o This one is the most important:  In this day and age there is no reason or
justification for us wasting/using paper when we do not need to.

These are just SOME of the arguments for an electronic Drifting that I can
come-up with off the top of my head on a Sunday morning.  Personally, I have
not heard a single substantiated argument for not receiving Drifting
electronically.  The most common I've heard is "I want to sit-down and read
it on paper"; well my response to that is a quite blunt 'Then print it out'.
I'd rather have 20 members who have to print it out themselves than have a
single copy that is thrown to the trash and the paper is wasted.

Now for the bottom-line.  This is where you need to send me an email telling
me one of two things:   (no, you do not need to tell me 'where to go')

* Remove your mailing label and sign-you-up for my emailed Drifting each
month
* Remove your mailing label as someone who will download Drifting from the
club web-site.

Thank you.

Karl Thacker
Drifting publisher

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 07:54:29 -0500

To those that read the below message as being that you are 'forced' to take
Drifting electronically, that is not at all the intent.  The below was a
request in an attempt to save the club money, and to quit wasting
paper/trees.  Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.  Have a good one.

kt

Karl Thacker
http://www.geocities.com/kt_50320

"It's just a shadow of the people we should be."
    Stuart Adamson, Big Country

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]  On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent:	Sunday, May 11, 2003 11:58 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[DMVR] Drifting by email or download
Importance:	High

Thank you.

Karl Thacker
Drifting publisher

_______________________________________________
DMVR mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr