Subject: [DMVR] Mobil 1 & Extended Life Coolant 'Crap'

From: Karl T <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:15:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hello

I want to throw-out a couple of things I saw this weekend and see if
anyone else has experienced the same.

We opened-up my brother's '99 Dodge Dakota this weekend for the usual
cam/springs/rockers and a modified intake.

Upon doing so we found two things that were a bit alarming: One was
yellowish/orangish 'crust' at the edge of passages and pipes in the
cooling system.  The other was shellac and 'crust' in the oiling system. 
This truck has about 45,000 miles on it. 

Now, this truck has had extended life coolant in it since very early in
life.  When it was switched-over it was fully drained, flushed, driven
with plain water, flushed again with plain water.  I've heard rumours of
old coolant forming a gel if mixed with new coolant, but there should not
have been any old coolant left.

On the Mobil 1- the truck was switched to Mobil 1 at 1,500 miles.  It is
fully changed at about 7,000 miles with a filter changed happening every
3,500 miles.  Yet when we opened-up the motor the valve covers which have
only been on the truck since last spring had a fair amount of shellac and
the corners of the heads in side the lifter valley had actual crust &
crap.

Anyone seen the same happen with either the fluids, or even Dodge V8
Magnum motors?

--by the way-- he and I both thinking of switching to Amsoil if anyone has
thoughts on that.

Thanks
Karl

=====

www.geocities.com/kt_50320

		
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs  
http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/careermakeover