Subject: [DMVR] Novice ?'s

From: "Rhett Farnum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:31:05 -0500

I have raced 3 times so I only have 2 more novice runs but I am not marked 
as novice on the results. Is this just a mistake? I know STL has some sort 
of novice points also and was wondering if we did the same at all?

Peace Out,
Rhett
Rocco_crossing
'83 Rocco (autocross ready, tune up, install harness, and finally I may get 
to makeing it look better!!)

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 22:54:01 -0500

For many many years it has been 5 events and then move to open class.  I 
don't think it has changed.

Did you indicate "novice" on your entry form?

Hope that helps.

Greg Scharnberg

At 10:31 PM 5/29/2003 -0500, Rhett Farnum wrote:
>'83 Rocco (autocross ready, tune up, install harness, and finally I may 
>get to makeing it look better!!)

---

From: Ric Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:54:47 -0500

>of novice points also and was wondering if we did the same at all?

Hi Rhett,

When you are asked your class at registration you need to let them also 
know you are a novice. That's the only way it will be recorded. Usually 
whoever is volunteering at registration has no idea whether an unfamiliar 
face is a novice, someone who hasn't run for a while, or maybe a visitor 
from another region. We pretty much rely on the individual competitor to 
keep track of how many events they've run and to let registration know 
their status. As I was formatting the results of the March event for the 
website I noticed quite a few new names that weren't listed as novices and 
suggested to the Solo Rules Director that we might need to do a better job 
of querying people at registration about novice status. His feeling was 
that most new drivers just didn't want to be known as beginners. Obviously 
you do, as did my son David who just ran his fifth event, and I still 
suspect there are many others who aren't even aware that it is an option 
because no one has bothered to mention it or ask them.

However, it's really a fairly moot point anyway as we do not run Novice as 
a season points class, and it only really mattered back when we gave 
individual event awards because it gave new drivers a better chance of 
winning an event trophy. Now it only means that you get listed in the event 
results with other novices. You always receive points based on your finish 
against others in your regular car class, even as a novice, or when you've 
been "bumped" into another class. Hope this helps, let me know if you have 
any other questions.

Ric Johnson
DMVR Webmaster