Subject: [DMVR] Great job Sunday, room for improvement.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:27:28 -0600

Hey all,

I had a great time on Sunday, thanks to all the staff that made it possible.

There were a couple of issues that arose which might have been preventable,
so I feel the need to comment here.

First, the registration line was an absolute nightmare.  I was 6th in line,
and it took 45 minutes to get to me.  My friend was about fourtieth in line,
and he waited - in the freezing cold - close to two hours.  After it was
made obvious to staff-not-at-registration that registration needed help,
things apparently moved quickly.  That realization needed to hit much
earlier tho, and speaks to lack of preparation and communication.

Second, it was obvious at the driver's meeting that there were a _ton_ of
novices present.  It was mentioned that sanctioned drivers were available
for ride-alongs.  Based on seeing something like 15 dnf's in the first 30
cars on track (some of the dnf's from scca members...), I feel like the dnf
tide might've been stemmed if a lot more emphasis had been placed on "if
you've never been on track before, this course will be a bit confusing.
SCCA members who would like to volunteer to ride along with a novice, raise
their hand.  Novices, we highly recommend you talk to one of these people
and have them join you for your first run."

Both of these issues were handled by staff as the problems became apparent,
but not until significant time had been burned (in both cases).  A little
preventative maintenance, so to speak, can go a long way.

Thanks, and I really did enjoy myself.  Watching those evo's was a hoot!

-Dan

---

From: Chanda Hufford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:04:09 -0800 (PST)

I sent this last night, but it doesn't seem like it
went through. Here are some pictures I got from
yesterday. I would have liked to have gotten more, but
it just didn't work out that way. If anyone needs
higher res versions of a pictures, just let me know.
If anyone would like to use these photos, please
contact me and make sure I get credit for the photos.
Thanks :)

http://www.chandajane.com/Nikon/2004-03-21%20-%20Sandpiper%20Autocross/

And yes, there is always room for improvement from the
first autocross of the year. No matter what, I had fun
yesterday :)

Chanda

=====
~*1996 Plymouth ACR Sedan*~
"Wahoo" / 96,000 Miles / #44 in STSL
-->2003 Buell Blast<--
"The Purple Cricket" / Just under 200 miles :)

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:10:27 -0600

Nice pictures.  Where did the busted wheel come from?

Greg Scharnberg

/2004 -0800, Chanda Hufford wrote:
>snip

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:18:58 -0600

I guess I should rephrase - Why was someone going that fast at the exit to 
the lot?

Greg Scharnberg

At 11:10 AM 3/22/2004 -0600, Sam & Greg Scharnberg wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>DMVR mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr

---

From: Chanda Hufford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:27:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
> Nice pictures.  Where did the busted wheel come

Andy and Dan took those. I don't know the full story,
but the Fosters' Corvette had a little run in with the
curb after the finish :(

Chanda

=====

---

From: "Chris Paris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:33:41 -0600

Hi Dan -

Glad you could make it out yesterday.  I was one of the event co chairs for
yesterday's event.  Although I cannot speak to registration, I can speak to
the course design.  Jon and I really try to make the March event an easy and
non technical course since this is the first event and people need to thaw
their brains from the winter break.  We felt that an open, sweeping course
design would be a better idea than a very technical course with such
components as Chicago boxes, decreasing radius slaloms, 360's and 180's.

I hope you can make it to other DMVR events as the courses tend to be more
technical when the weather is warmer and the traction is much improved.
Running on sealed asphalt has large limitations for higher torque cars and R
compound tires.

As we always say at each event, this is a volunteer sport.  You can make a
difference.  I know that Bob Lenz is looking for an event co chair for the
October event.  Bob would be a great person for you to pair up with and work
on setting up your own course.  Bob has many years of experience and has
created some great course designs.  

Happy Pylon Chasing!

Chris

www.blueovalgroup.org

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:27 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [DMVR] Great job Sunday, room for improvement.

Hey all, 

-Dan