Subject: RE: [DMVR] Great job Sunday, room for improvement.

From: "Rhett Farnum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:59:27 -0600

I know I will not b the only person to reply to this but I am going to 
attempt to be at least the first to reply.

[REPLY]  I talked to Mike after the event yesterday and he said that he is 
working on preregistration for the rest of the events. He will have the 
sheets printed up with numbers and all on tehm so we will only have to pay 
grab our sheet and get tech'ed if we preregister from now on.

I do agree with the offering of ride-alongs of SCCA members. I think that 
with what was said about ride-a-longs in the drivers meeting that it may 
have scared some of the novices away from asking someone. We just need to be 
a little more clear about who is able to ride with who. I know I am willing 
to ride with novices (being as I was one not too long ago) and I think I 
could really help them out.

I know Tarra (my girlfriend) learned a lot from me riding with her both 
days. She ended up only being 9 sec. behind me. (Not that either of our 
times were fast in her GP.) But she did have fun and definately will be back 
for more later this season!! Where as one of my other friends refused a 
ride-a-long because of being too nevous, and DNF'd both runs. This coul 
maybe be addressed by walking the course more. Possibly haveing 2 walks 
before and after the meeting. The "Novice" walk being before as I am sure 
most experienced drivers don't always need to walk the course as many 
times.[/REPLY]

I personally really enjoyed yesterday and really wish we could have gotten 3 
runs in as I am sure i could have skimmed some more time off. But oh well I 
loved the amount of seat time I was able to get in this weekend between the 
test and tune and yesterday's longer course.

Peace Out,
Rhett
Rocco_crossing
'83 Rocco (DEAD!!) :-(  Now what to do???

>From: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [DMVR] Great job Sunday, room for improvement.
>Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:27:28 -0600
>
>Hey all,
>
>I had a great time on Sunday, thanks to all the staff that made it 
>possible.
>
>There were a couple of issues that arose which might have been preventable,
>so I feel the need to comment here.
>
>First, the registration line was an absolute nightmare.  I was 6th in line,
>and it took 45 minutes to get to me.  My friend was about fourtieth in 
>line,
>and he waited - in the freezing cold - close to two hours.  After it was
>made obvious to staff-not-at-registration that registration needed help,
>things apparently moved quickly.  That realization needed to hit much
>earlier tho, and speaks to lack of preparation and communication.
>
>Second, it was obvious at the driver's meeting that there were a _ton_ of
>novices present.  It was mentioned that sanctioned drivers were available
>for ride-alongs.  Based on seeing something like 15 dnf's in the first 30
>cars on track (some of the dnf's from scca members...), I feel like the dnf
>tide might've been stemmed if a lot more emphasis had been placed on "if
>you've never been on track before, this course will be a bit confusing.
>SCCA members who would like to volunteer to ride along with a novice, raise
>their hand.  Novices, we highly recommend you talk to one of these people
>and have them join you for your first run."
>
>Both of these issues were handled by staff as the problems became apparent,
>but not until significant time had been burned (in both cases).  A little
>preventative maintenance, so to speak, can go a long way.
>
>Thanks, and I really did enjoy myself.  Watching those evo's was a hoot!
>
>-Dan

_________________________________________________________________
Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage. Multiple plans available. 
http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200362ave/direct/01/

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:07:32 -0600

Another very obvious way for this improvement to happen is for more folks 
to come forward to help.  Working the "required" amount is good, but 
helping above and beyond is much better.

Greg Scharnberg
Ralt RT5 - BM

---

From: "Ryan Malek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:00:40 -0600

As a novice myself, (Yesterday was my 4th event), I'd say that having a
course walk with someone who knows what they are talking about helps alot.
And not in a big group.  People won't ask questions in a big group.  Ride
alongs are excellent too.  I've been lucky enough to have two very talanted
people helping me out and giving me advice, and have been lucky enough to
only DNF once (yesterday, first lap). Just my 2 cents. :-)

---
Ryan Malek
Systems & Network Administrator
River City Internet (NOW WITH DSL!*) & Websizzle Hosting
Divisions of MachIII Worldwide LLC
1701 S Eisenhower
Mason City, IA 50401

Ph 641.424.1511 Ext 22
(*Available in Ames, Charles City, Des Moines, Mason City, and many others!)

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rhett Farnum" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 10:59 AM
Subject: RE: [DMVR] Great job Sunday, room for improvement.

> _______________________________________________
> DMVR mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr