Subject: Re: [DMVR] Chief Stewards As.....

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:45:21 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2006 7:58:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Isn't comparing Road Racing to Solo like comparing apples to oranges?  Since 
you are asking road race people you may also want to contact NHRA,  NASCAR, 
IRL, CART, D1 (drifting) and who ever else I have missed.  They  are all 
different forms of motorsports and have different rules so you cannot  compare them 
to each other.  

Mike;
  I see that you chosen to go on the offensive. As (the former) Solo  Rules 
director, you should be familiar with:
 
1.4.H found on page 16 of the National 2006 Solo Rule book:
"An event chief official must be appointed to supervise the running of the  
event. His duties should generally be those of the Chief Steward of a race  
event."
 
Please do not confuse the issue by calling a Solo Event a "race", as  a Solo 
event is more akin to a precision driving event. You want  to argue semantics? 
Look in the mirror and think about the meaning of "mandatory  drivers 
meeting". 
 
Anyway, What 1.4.H means to me is that there should be delegation on  the 
part of the Solo Events Director in order to secure at least one  non-competing 
"Chief". And please notice the use of the word "must". 
Quite frankly, if our Region can not come up with enough non-competing  
co-chairs to staff 9 events per year....we are in trouble. And the suggestion  made 
at the board meeting that "new members only want to show up to race and  
shouldn't have to work in order to attract new members" (paraphrasing here)  will 
only serve to deteriorate our Solo Program. Solo is based upon the  spirit of 
volunteerism. Again; check Section's IX and X of the DMVR bylaws. Then  lobby 
for a change should you not agree with them.
 
I have asked experienced Club Race Workers for their input. And believe  that 
Marina's response pretty well sums it up.
She wrote:
"My 3 cents is that a chief should not be a competitor as well.  From  my 
competitor perspective side, I want that competitor to have his 100%  attention 
on his car and his safety.  From my chief side, I want every  chief to have 
100% of their attention given to their job and ensuring that the  event is 
running smoothly and safely."

Further:
Please check the latest edition of our Solo Supplemental Regulations;
Specifically section IV.A which states: "Event chairpersons are not allowed  
to run the course during the day's competition". Note that this rule does not  
preclude pre-runs by the co-chairs.
It just prohibits competition on the part of co-chairs during their  event.
If there exists an updated version of this regional rule set, please  advise.
Should you not have a copy of these rules, let me know and I'll e-mail a  
copy to you. I will also have copies available for the 7/11/06 event.
 
I must extend a big thank you for your past efforts in supporting our Solo  
program and hope that you see fit to attend future Regional, Divisional and 
even  National event in order to gain a perspective of what event sponsorship  
involves.
Hint: It involves delegation.

---

From: "Dan Slater" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:35:55 -0500

As per my sig on the e-mail this is not Mike this is Dan and I have never been
the solo rules director.  I have been an events director.  And those rules as
I have been told are for Divisionals and Nationals.  Things can and have been
done a lot diff at the regional level.  Just one example would be the #'s on
the cars.  At nationals you are not allowed to use shoe polish but at regional
level you can.

Dan Slater
Slater Racing
http://www.slateracing.com<http://www.slateracing.com/>
http://www.dmvrscca.org<http://www.dmvrscca.org/>
"It's true - I have a problem.  I'm addicted to cars." - Tim Allen as Tim
Taylor (Home Improvement)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> ;
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [DMVR] Chief Stewards As.....

  In a message dated 6/28/2006 7:58:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> writes:

  Isn't comparing Road Racing to Solo like comparing apples to oranges?  Since
  you are asking road race people you may also want to contact NHRA,  NASCAR,
  IRL, CART, D1 (drifting) and who ever else I have missed.  They  are all
  different forms of motorsports and have different rules so you cannot
compare them
  to each other.

  Mike;

  Please do not confuse the issue by calling a Solo Event a "race", as  a Solo
  event is more akin to a precision driving event. You want  to argue
semantics?
  Look in the mirror and think about the meaning of "mandatory  drivers
  meeting".

  Anyway, What 1.4.H means to me is that there should be delegation on  the
  part of the Solo Events Director in order to secure at least one
non-competing
  "Chief". And please notice the use of the word "must".
  Quite frankly, if our Region can not come up with enough non-competing
  co-chairs to staff 9 events per year....we are in trouble. And the
suggestion  made
  at the board meeting that "new members only want to show up to race and
  shouldn't have to work in order to attract new members" (paraphrasing here)
will
  only serve to deteriorate our Solo Program. Solo is based upon the  spirit
of
  volunteerism. Again; check Section's IX and X of the DMVR bylaws. Then
lobby
  for a change should you not agree with them.

  I have asked experienced Club Race Workers for their input. And believe
that
  Marina's response pretty well sums it up.
  She wrote:
  "My 3 cents is that a chief should not be a competitor as well.  From  my
  competitor perspective side, I want that competitor to have his 100%
attention
  on his car and his safety.  From my chief side, I want every  chief to have
  100% of their attention given to their job and ensuring that the  event is
  running smoothly and safely."

  Further:
  Please check the latest edition of our Solo Supplemental Regulations;
  Specifically section IV.A which states: "Event chairpersons are not allowed
  to run the course during the day's competition". Note that this rule does
not
  preclude pre-runs by the co-chairs.
  It just prohibits competition on the part of co-chairs during their  event.
  If there exists an updated version of this regional rule set, please
advise.
  Should you not have a copy of these rules, let me know and I'll e-mail a
  copy to you. I will also have copies available for the 7/11/06 event.

  I must extend a big thank you for your past efforts in supporting our Solo
  program and hope that you see fit to attend future Regional, Divisional and
  even  National event in order to gain a perspective of what event
sponsorship
  involves.
  Hint: It involves delegation.
  _______________________________________________
  DMVR mailing list
  [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr<http://www.team.net/mailman/listi
nfo/dmvr>

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:15:56 -0500

Just so ya know, most of the e-mails in this thread are being held for 
administrative approval because there are too many addresses in the CC.  I 
will not have access to approve them over the weekend so they may never be 
forwarded.

Greg
DMVR Mailing List Admin