Subject: [DMVR] New to Autocross.

From: "Ryan Malek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:16:51 -0500

Hello,
    I'm new to the whole autox/scca scene, and was looking to just introduce
myself, and ask some questions.  I'm from North Iowa (Mason City), and DMVR
seems to be the closest organization to race with.  I've read up quite a bit
on what to expect, but I'm still not sure if I want to just dive in and take
a shot at it yet.  Anyone else from North Iowa that I could ride down with
sometime?  Maybe co-pilot on a fun run? Or should I just bite the bullet and
come down? Thanks!

---
Ryan Malek
Systems & Network Administrator
River City Internet (NOW WITH DSL!*) & Websizzle Hosting
Divisions of MachIII Worldwide LLC
1701 S Eisenhower
Mason City, IA 50401

Ph 641.424.1511 Ext 22
(*Available in Ames, Des Moines, and Mason City)

---

From: Sam & Greg Scharnberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:04:33 -0500

Ryan:

Welcome!  One of the best things about Autocross is the lack of required 
commitment.  You can come on down to the next event in Waterloo and just 
watch or try your hand at it for $20.00.  You need a car in safe condition 
with seat belts.  We have helmets for you to borrow.  There will be lots of 
folks with advice so that isn't really a problem.

Don't worry about being slow, we have ALL been there.  Most of us many 
times.  :-)

Greg Scharnberg
Des Moines

At 03:16 PM 7/8/2003 -0500, Ryan Malek wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>DMVR mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr

---

From: "Ryan Malek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:03:11 -0500

Thanks to all the people that responded! My only problem at the moment is
the whole "gotta have a car" thing. :-) How much tread do I need to pass
inspection?  I have a feeling I'm going to need to buy new front tires for
the Saturn before I come down.  The back tires have quite a bit of tread on
them, but the front tires are starting to ware.  Theirs no bald spots on the
tires, but the tread is maybe 1/8" to 1/4".  I'm guessing that isn't enough.
Other than that I think the car will pass inspection.  Hopefully the engine
will hold togather for us too.   My wife has also showed some interest in
taking the saturn for a run too.  But my guess is that she'll chicken out,
and I'll have to kidnap her for a fun run, after that I'll probably never
get her off the track.  Anyway, I'm babbling, so back to work. Thanks!

---
Ryan Malek

Ph 641.424.1511 Ext 22