Subject: [DMVR] 2006 Runoffs Location

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:02:11 EST

Previous rumor has it that this could also impact our Solo2 Nationals. Could 
this be good-bye to a crumbling Forbes Field and hello to a new site for Solo 
events at Heartland?

http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1386&TPN=1

Stay Tuned,

Bart

---

From: "Jarrod Igou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:01:22 -0600

The second release on this page has some more detail on the improvements that will 
take place:

http://www.hpt.com/news_press_rel.htm

Jarrod

On 6 Jan 2005 at 13:02, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> DMVR mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo/dmvr

---

From: "Jarrod Igou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:09:40 -0600

OK, one last item and I leave it alone for right now...

Check out the upper left-hand corner of this graphic:

http://heartlandparktopeka.com/06runoffs-map.pdf

Jarrod

---

From: Karl T <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:57:52 -0800 (PST)

I at least hope HPT is more exciting for drivers than it is for workers &
spectators.  I always thought of the Runoffs as some grand, beyond reality
event.  Now thinking about it being at Heartland just makes it the level
of another race.  Drivers will go, they have no choice, but I think
spectators are in for a sad surprise.  Name one place at HPT that can even
remotely compete with the view (of) China Beach at Mid-O.  

The first couple years of the NASCAR truck races I gave my tickets (and
others) to my brother, some friends and some co-workers.  EVERY one of
them walked-away thinking HPT was the worst track possible for specators. 
Not only in terms of where there was on the embankments, etc., but what
there was to see on the track.  I thin weather is only half the reason
spectators stayed-away from the NASCAR events at HPT; I think the racing
was the other half.

I honestly don't care what others think of my opinion on this- The Runoffs
are in Topeka only because the office is in Topeka, and that's too bad. 
And no, I don't care if it is only a 4 hour drive from DSM.  I honestly
can't see I feel like working the Runoffs now.  The last couple of years
it's been a work issue, but I can't see using a week of vacation in
Topeka.

Karl T

=====

www.geocities.com/kt_50320
 
And coming soon- a new & improved website!
 
www.karlsplace.net

---

From: "Eric Linnhoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:43:17 -0500

----- Original Message -----
> remotely compete with the view (of) China Beach at Mid-O.
======================================
Have you taken a look at the proposed new facility map?

As to views at HPT, have ya been to the stands down by Turn 0 yet?  Talk to
me after you watch a gaggle of AS or GT cars doing "hospital hops" over Turn
0.  And if they cut the grass you can watch the cars from the front straight
all the way around to Turn 8.  (And no, I haven't been to Mid-O to watch a
race.  That's a bit too far for me just to spectate.)

Give Ray a chance.  You can bet your sweet bippy that he'll do what it takes
to win a second contract to hold the Runoffs at HPT, including more viewing
stands.  And if they put a little banking on the Carousel, WOOO!

Eric

---

From: "Karl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:31:46 -0600

What are you calling a carousel at HPT?  I've been working it for 12 years
and I've never heard anyone refer to any section as a 'carousel'.  And
unless the track itself is improved to do something about the racing and
challenges taking place, it doesn't matter where people view (it) from.
Right now there are only two places where challenges for position seem to
occur- going into 1, and going into 8.

As for what you are calling turn 0, I assume you mean the off-camber,
dog-leg in the front straight, I'll be willing to bet that section of the
track will be removed before the Runoffs would take place.  It's a bad
design in a bad location and already has been involved in several serious
accidents and one death.  Can't imagine the XXXX it would be with a
Runoffs-sized field of cars in the rain.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Eric Linnhoff
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 2:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [DMVR] 2006 Runoffs Location

----- Original Message -----

Eric