[DMVR] Novice ?'s

Ric Johnson johnsonr@dwx.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 00:54:47 -0500

--=====================_99378621==.ALT

At 10:31 PM 5/29/03 -0500, Rhett wrote:
>I have raced 3 times so I only have 2 more novice runs but I am not marked
>as novice on the results. Is this just a mistake? I know STL has some sort
>of novice points also and was wondering if we did the same at all?

Hi Rhett,

When you are asked your class at registration you need to let them also
know you are a novice. That's the only way it will be recorded. Usually
whoever is volunteering at registration has no idea whether an unfamiliar
face is a novice, someone who hasn't run for a while, or maybe a visitor
from another region. We pretty much rely on the individual competitor to
keep track of how many events they've run and to let registration know
their status. As I was formatting the results of the March event for the
website I noticed quite a few new names that weren't listed as novices and
suggested to the Solo Rules Director that we might need to do a better job
of querying people at registration about novice status. His feeling was
that most new drivers just didn't want to be known as beginners. Obviously
you do, as did my son David who just ran his fifth event, and I still
suspect there are many others who aren't even aware that it is an option
because no one has bothered to mention it or ask them.

However, it's really a fairly moot point anyway as we do not run Novice as
a season points class, and it only really mattered back when we gave
individual event awards because it gave new drivers a better chance of
winning an event trophy. Now it only means that you get listed in the event
results with other novices. You always receive points based on your finish
against others in your regular car class, even as a novice, or when you've
been "bumped" into another class. Hope this helps, let me know if you have
any other questions.

Ric Johnson
DMVR Webmaster

--=====================_99378621==.ALT

2 more novice runs but I am not marked as novice on the results. Is this
just a mistake? I know STL has some sort of novice points also and was
wondering if we did the same at all?</blockquote><br>
Hi Rhett,<br><br>
[...]
them. <br><br>
However, it's really a fairly moot point anyway as we do not run Novice
as a season points class, and it only really mattered back when we gave
individual event awards because it gave new drivers a better chance of
winning an event trophy. Now it only means that you get listed in the
event results with other novices. You always receive points based on your
finish against others in your regular car class, even as a novice, or
when you've been &quot;bumped&quot; into another class. Hope this helps,
let me know if you have any other questions.<br><br>
Ric Johnson<br>
DMVR Webmaster<br><br>