[DMVR] Drifting Discussion

ERIK S TALBOT TALBOT_E@msn.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:18:12 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0AF7_01C3EB53.A1F97900

"When the general feeling of the driver's meeting is "If you want to=20
screw around, go out to the street," I just can't get on board with=20
that.  There are varying degrees of course, but to a certain degree=20
isn't that what we're all there for ?"

I'm curious as to how this impression has occurred but it's CERTAINLY =
NOT the intent of any safety discussion as part of a DMVR Solo event.  =
We and SCCA in general will NOT have a solo program should events not =
continue to be run in as safe as manner as possible.  Insurance would =
become prohibitively expensive or unavailable and site availability =
would evaporate.  And NO, I certainly do NOT agree with your comment =
regarding we're at events to "screw around"; have fun YES, practice =
precision driving to the limits of our ability and car's capability, =
YES, "screw around", NOPE.

As a DMVR Solo Safety steward I cannot control how people drive on =
public streets but it is in our region's and SCCA's interest as well as =
the safety of all participants and registered visitors that we =
continually remind all of the focus on safety.  Because we strongly =
stress safety on our solo sites that we control in no means should be =
interpreted as endorsing stupid, unsafe driving on the public roadways.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do and if it's a matter of how we present =
our little safety briefings at driver's meetings, I'm always willing to =
consider more effective ways to remind folks of the inherent dangers in =
our sport and everything we can do to stay safe and continue to enjoy =
our sport.

Rick (aka Flip) Talbot

------=_NextPart_000_0AF7_01C3EB53.A1F97900

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV>"When the general feeling of the driver's meeting is "If you want =
to=20
<BR>screw around, go out to the street," I just can't get on board with=20
<BR>that.&nbsp; There are varying degrees of course, but to a certain =
degree=20
<BR>isn't that what we're all there for ?"</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm curious as to how this impression has occurred but it's =
CERTAINLY NOT=20
the intent of any safety discussion as part of a DMVR Solo event.&nbsp; =
We and=20
SCCA in general will NOT have a solo program should events not continue =
to be=20
run in as safe as manner as possible.&nbsp; Insurance would become =
prohibitively=20
expensive or unavailable and site availability would evaporate.&nbsp; =
And NO, I=20
certainly do NOT agree with your comment regarding we're at events to =
"screw=20
around"; have fun YES, practice precision driving to the limits of our =
ability=20
and car's capability, YES, "screw around", NOPE.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As a DMVR Solo Safety steward I cannot control how people drive on =
public=20
streets but it is in our region's and SCCA's interest as well as the =
safety of=20
all participants and registered visitors that we continually remind all =
of the=20
focus on safety.&nbsp; Because we strongly stress safety on our solo =
sites that=20
we control in no means should be interpreted as endorsing stupid,=20
unsafe&nbsp;driving on the public roadways.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm sorry you feel the way you do and if it's a matter of how we =
present=20
our little safety briefings at driver's meetings, I'm always willing to =
consider=20
more effective ways to remind folks of the inherent dangers in our sport =
and=20
everything we can do to stay safe and continue to enjoy our sport.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Rick (aka Flip) Talbot<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0AF7_01C3EB53.A1F97900--