[DMVR] Drifting?

Ric Johnson johnsonr@dwx.com
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 01:05:18 -0600

At 11:27 AM 2/4/04, Bill Hart wrote:
>>It is unsafe behavior and we have seen it before.  Red flag and told to stop
>>
>>If the unsafe behavior is repeated then the person is told to leave.
>
>This sort of brings up a sore point that I've discussed with a few people.
>
>I'm in no way condoning drifting, unless it involves large masses of solid
>water, BUT:
>
>Isn't driving at the limits (yours or the cars) whether it's a controlled
>environment or not inherently dangerous ?
>
>Yes, the risks can be minimized, but there's still an element of danger to
>everyone and everything around.

I for one am certainly surprised by your comments, and feel that there is a
certain lack of communication evident. Yes there are dangers, and as a
licensed Solo Safety Steward and an autocrosser with 34 years of experience
I've seen quite a spectrum of driving behavior. As Rick Talbot notes we
have an obligation to make things as safe as possible for everyone involved
in our events whether on the course or just watching. We know there will be
instances where people will exceed their personal or their car's limits but
it's our job to minimize the dangers to them and others or we will no
longer have a sport. We've all done something stupid at one time or another
(just ask Rick where his nickname "Flip" came from) and we recognize that
as being part of the sport we've chosen. It's certainly subjective but I
think most anyone who has been around for a while can differentiate between
someone who makes an honest mistake from someone who is driving recklessly
and stupidly to the point of being a danger to themselves and others. It's
rare that someone needs or receives a "talking to", but when it happens
it's for everyone's benefit. In all my years I can only recall one instance
of someone being told to pack up and leave, an idiot in a supercharged Nova
at an event in Oskaloosa who chose to ignore any semblance of following the
course and instead chose to use his time on course to perform a series of
high speed burnouts and lurid slides (gee, sort of like drifting when you
think about it). In most cases where someone is driving in an unsafe manner
its usually only necessary to point out that not only are they putting
themselves and others at risk, but that all that wheel spinning and sliding
is NOT going to result in a quick time.

>I have attended fewer and fewer DMVR events over the last few years
>because of statements like the above that make you wonder when you are
>going to be called because you tried something different and it didn't
>work.  No, I've never been "talked to" about my driving style or anything,
>but there's always the raised eyebrows and the feeling of "doing something
>wrong" when you botch a corner and end up with a smokey exit through the
>gates .

I think there is an inherent contradiction in what you are saying here. You
admit you've screwed up, but no one called you on it. Do you think that
could be because those officiating recognized your faux pas for what it
was, a momentary mistake in an otherwise sane run which wasn't likely to be
repeated? Perhaps that feeling of "doing something wrong" was because you
obviously did, recognized it, and learned from it thus obviating the
"talking to"? There's a big difference in my eye between an instance like
that versus an inexperienced driver who is all right foot and has not yet
learned the concept of "knowing when to say when". Believe me, none of us
are eager to have that conversation with someone who is way over their
head, but when it does happen I think you'd find in the majority of cases
it's not so much  the "verbal spanking" that you seem to fear, but is
generally more in the line of a friendly offer of some constructive
criticism aimed at helping the person develop a more effective and safe
style. I know that's how I've always approached it. Most of the time that's
all that's needed and most of those folks go on to be much better drivers
once they quit trying "movie chase scene" mode and settle down to something
that actually works in the real world. I'm sorry you perceive us as a bunch
of safety Nazis, because I don't think any of us would regularly
participate in a sport like this if we were. The thrill of this sport is in
exploring the limit (yes, even in an ancient MGB <G>) and it's something I
enjoy greatly, yet take very seriously. I don't want that monthly "fix"
taken from me by the actions of someone who is only there to "screw around"
and show off  without regard to the risk to themselves, spectators, or the
property we've been allowed to use. Those are the drivers that jeopardize
our sport and are likely to be encouraged to change their attitude and/or
style. And it's only the most obtuse of those who would be encouraged to
find some other kids to play with.

I've seen you drive many times, and I think you're safe from being
perceived as one of those.

Ric Johnson
Webmaster www.dmvrscca.org