[Fot] oils

Randall Young ryoung at navcomtech.com
Mon Apr 9 16:38:40 MDT 2007

> okay - an important distinction is required here. The
> reduction of ZPPD in
> the oils is not mandated by law. It is reduced in oils rated by the
> American Petroleum Institute, aka API and the current spec
> with reduced
> ZDDP is API SM.
>
> Now, whether API proposed the standard to keep EPA from mandating the
> reduced levels is a subject for another conversation. I
> personally have no
> idea if this the case or not.

Just curious, Bob ... can you think of any other reason why the API would
all of a sudden start specifying oil composition, rather than performance ?

The EPA may not have mandated it directly but there is no doubt in my mind
that's where this rule originated.  If by no other means than the EPA's
insistence that emission controls (like catalytic converters) should last
the life of the car.  They still want to weld our hoods shut.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.