[Fot] Jack Drews Died This Afternoon at Grattan

David Talbott dtalbott at archrepro.com
Sun Aug 17 19:47:26 MDT 2008

Oh, my.   What a shock to return from a weekend away to this dreadful news.

As I've been thinking of Uncle Jack this evening I keep recalling the line
from The Wind in the Willows about there being nothing "half so much worth
doing as simply messing about in boats."  For Jack, it seemed, it was only a
matter of replacing the "boats" with "cars," and he was indeed a happy
camper.

The attached photo was taken at Road Atlanta in 2005 shortly after the
Kastner Cup festivities were complete, and several of our beloved Iowan's
had put together a little presentation for Richard Taylor.   I'm not sure
why Uncle Jack seemed so intent on reading the sheet music, as it was quite
apparent that he knew all the words by heart.

I was born on a farm out in iowa

A flaming youth I was bound I would fly away

I packed my grip and I grabbed my saxophone

Can't read notes, but I play anything by ear

I made up tunes on the sounds that I used to hear

When I'd start to play folks to say

'sounds a little goofus to me'

Sure gonna miss him.

DT