[Fot] Check out Racing community mourns loss of Jack Drews - Auto Racing - MLive.co

Bill Babcock Billb at bnj.com
Tue Aug 19 10:08:52 MDT 2008

Nice article. I didn't think of Jack's recent surgery when I heard
about the accident, I always saw Jack as being so healthy, I doubted
the blackout theory, but now I'm not so sure. I remember he was a bit
nervous about the surgery when I talked with him about the engine he
was building for me.

I like the last line of the article--" he was a very down to earth
person." That's probably ultimate praise in the midwest

I remember driving into Geneseo and thinking the town could be a movie
set for 1950's small town america. When I pulled up with Nero in tow,
Jack was sitting in his porch swing, enjoying a cigar. Later at a
track somewhere I gave him one of the pre-embargo cuban cigars I hoard
and it seemed he didn't know whether to smoke it or mount it on a
wall. I know Jack was a sophisticated guy who had been around. He
chose to live in a small town where kids can ride their bikes to the
park. He chose to have a "full cleveland" leisure suit in his closet--
tanned rested and ready for the Columbia River Classic vintage party.
He chose to be a "very down to earth" person. Nice guy.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:31 AM, BillDentin at aol.com wrote:

> Click here: Racing community mourns loss of Jack Drews - Auto Racing
> - MLive.com
>
> Amici...
>
> There is a very nice article concerning Jack Drews' passing in this
> morning's Grand Rapids newspaper.  As you can imagine reference to
> the tragic accident was sketchy on Sunday due to scant details.  But
> they are blessed with a serious motorsports reporter in Grand
> Rapids, and he stayed on the story until he could get details.  Good
> for him.
>
> Bill Dentinger

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins