[Fot] TR4-6 trans into TR3

Mark Eginton markconsultation at twcny.rr.com
Sun Mar 9 10:14:13 MDT 2008

I have been carting around a TR3B transmission for three decades assuming some
day I would put it in my TR3 for the synchro. It does infact have the dipstick
hole but I remember driving the car (TR3B) and liking the synchro before I
parted it out when they were worthless ($500). Do you think there were cross
over years? Any other tips from the outside that its a synchro, perhaps my
memory fails me. Would not be the first time...

Finally, I always assumed these transmissions were exactly the same otherwise;
will it take the overdrive unit from my older non-synchro transmission if I
ever get motivated to exchange it? Frankly, I've come close a few times but
for some reason, I kinda like being reminded that this car is truly from a
different era and a non-synchro trans is a constant reminder, especially after
a long winter...

Its fun being able to match gears manually when a downshift into first while
moving becomes necessary but I gotta admit that when you blow it - its not
pretty. A skill that will go with our generation along with cleaning record
albums, maintaining vacume operated winshield wipers and making salad from an
actual head of lettuce...

Cheers,

Mark