[Fot] Inquiry for race events and a ... yes again... GT6 Transmission question

Bobby Whitehead igofaster at charter.net
Sun Nov 23 10:14:30 MST 2008

1. I would like to race as much as I have this past year and a half... about 6 events per calendar year.

2. CVAR is about $250.00 for the weekend plus $100.00 for a friday test and tune.

3. no sponsorship known

GT6 transmission...again...

Once again, I've had a failure in the unit that attaches to the flywheel. I kept the hydraulic release bearing that came with my Bob Davis built GT6 (minus the T50 5 speed). The 4 speed gearbox from Quantum started grinding at shifts into 4th gear, and an oil change showed brass shavings. I buttoned it all back up for CVAR's last event at TWS this past month. I've learned my lesson going out 6 times and coming back 3 times early to only pay $100.00 for fridays test and tune.. If I make it through friday, I pay for the weekend.
Well.... late friday evening on the long straight, a high pitched whine and some smoke in the cabin from 3rd to 4th... no shifty....
Brought it back home after some track side analysis and the clutch material had departed the flywheel side of the clutch disk.
Bob Kramer feels I should ditch the hydraulic release bearing and go back to the standard slave cylinder. His conclusion was there was too much pressure on the disk as I may have not backed off the release bearing enough when I did the 2nd gearbox swap. I was planning on pulling the gearbox anyway and sending it back to Quantum, really needing to change out for a overdrive as I simply do not have enough combination to run TWS on the straightaway before I run up to my set limit of 6200 rpm.
I would like to run with CVAR but they wont allow the T50... wonder if I can run the T50 gearbox in other groups like SVRA or the like?
Seriously considering one or the other, try the overdrive with the slave or hydraulic release bearing, or putting the T50 back in a race with another organization...
Kindest regards, ya'll... yes I'm from Texas....
Happy Thanksgiving to the group,
Bobby Whitehead
#53 CVAR EP Group II