[Fot] Non-LBC group question

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 10:52:49 MDT 2008

This site explains it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)

Joe C.

  _____

From: fot-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:fot-bounces at autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of EDWARD BARNARD
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:06 AM
To: FOT
Subject: [Fot] Non-LBC group question

Lister's: I'm writing a magazine article about Indy roadsters (Kurtis',
Novi', etc) and am examining the Studebaker/Packard powered cars. In 1963
Studebaker purchased from three gentlemen a little known company named
Chemical Compounds, which had an oil additive product they were selling from
the trunks of their cars. Studebaker gave Andy Granatelli, then head
engineer and chief test driver for Studebaker the position of CEO of the
newly acquired company which he then renamed STP. Now my question...does
anyone know for certain the meaning of STP? I am getting mixed answers from
The Racing History Group. Most say it stands for Specially Treated
Petroleum, while a few are saying it stands for Studebaker Test Products. Do
any of the FOTers know the "true" side of the story?

BTW, later I will relate this past Saturday spent with three great guys,
Johnny Rutherford, Lloyd Ruby,  and Jim McElreath, at a car show we had.

Thanks - Ed -