[Fot] Trick for installing Spitfire cam bearings?

Joe Guinan joeg at neb.rr.com
Sun Apr 19 19:04:19 MDT 2009

Anyone have any tricks?  Or do I just have to break down and buy a proper
tool or have a local machine shop install them?

This is for Jeff Senty's old Midwest Council race Spitfire with an 1147
engine.  I'd like to use the Kastner A7 cam I have (I realize there are
newer grinds available, just trying to not buy parts).  I guessed I'd ruin
the new cam bearings installing them myself, and I did.

Instead of installing the bearings, should I just go ahead and buy a new
large journal cam?  If I do that, I'll have to decide on what cam. A "full
race" design will probably make the little 1147 a real dog in the autocross
events I'd like to do (SCCA Nationals are nearby this fall).  Any advice
would be welcome.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE