[Fot] Hoosier R6 tire pressures

Norlin Engineering norlinengineering at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 19:30:02 MDT 2010

I just checked the Hoosier web site and the link I refered to earlier is
broken.  However, I found a copy at the following location:

http://www.racetire.com/products/tctips.htm#Tire Pressure Recommendations
For Competition

If you read down far enough you will see this:

"Independent rear suspension
With IRS and proper geometry up front, tire pressures can be reduced from
the recommendations listed above. When there is adequate camber gain and
good roll control, the Hoosier radial tire will perform very well at the
reduced air pressure. This results in a bigger "sweet spot" and easier
control at the limit.

When tuning at reduced pressures use the following formula to determine the
minimum safe pressure: Divide the total vehicle weight, including fuel and
driver, by 100 to arrive at the minimum safe pressure. Example: Your car
weighs 2750 lbs. as raced. The minimum safe (cold) pressure is 27.5 psi."

This is a far cry from 40 psi in a 2000 lb car.  I started out at 26 with my
1700 lb Spitfire cause that's what I ran with my old Yokohamas.  I've
finally settled on 17-18 lbs cold.  Far more grip than at 26.  Take it for
what it's worth, but it works for me.

Jim Norlin