[Fot] Clutch throw out bearing sleeves for TR3/TR4

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 25 15:55:54 MDT 2011

> 	Other than the two different styles of pressure plates, the
> clutch
> parts seem to be the same from the TR2 through the TR6, according to
> the
> Moss catalogs.

I don't believe that is correct, Tim, unless I am misunderstanding you.  The
flywheel, friction plate, throwout bearing, TOB carrier, gearbox front cover
(where the carrier rides) and operating shaft all changed.  Even the
bearings that the operating shaft rides in were changed at some point!

ISTR the only parts that didn't change were the operating fork, taper pin
and the pins that engage the carrier.  And even the fork casting actually
changed, it's just that the later one will fit the earlier setup.

Oh yeah, the slave cylinder changed too (although Moss doesn't show it).
The slave for the diaphragm clutch is supposed to have a spring inside it,
while the finger clutch does not.  The adjustable pushrod was also changed
to a fixed one (since the later setup does not require adjustment).

There was also a different slave used on cars with front drum brakes
(Lockheed rather than Girling).

-- Randall