[Fot] TR6 crankshaft topic

Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley triosan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:58:21 MDT 2011

I am getting interested -but would be a short tail.

Charly, have you ever broken a crank?  I have burned several bearings, but
never has a crank broken.  I am using Racestoration's (Daryll Uprichard)
stronger main bearing caps and steel rear main seal holder as well as
aluminum oil pan -- all of which should help reduce risk.

By the way, I met him at a show in the UK in January and he showed me a
forged crank he had had made -- it had been micro polished to almost
absolute smoothness all over -- like an F1 crank.  Could put it in the
engine without pistons, but with the bearings correct, and then could
actually spin it by hand and it rolled like a top.  Would be interesting to
see what it would cost to get these cranks micro smoothed [it was done in
some type of aerospace polisher using a vibrating liquid filled with
triangular shaped microscopic beads].

Chuck

--
Chuck Arnold and Kathleen Kelley