[Fot] Freeing stuck pistons

Tim Pettenati 1964spitfire at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 27 09:17:03 MDT 2011

Anyone have a tried and true method to free stuck pistons out of an
old motor.
I picked up a spare 1147 Spit motor that has been sitting with
the head off for
at least 15 years.

Pistons 2 & 3 were at BDC and came out
pretty easily after soaking in Kroil and
PB Blaster for several days, then
tapping out with a piece of wood and hammer.
Pistons 1 & 4 are at TDC and
pretty well frozen in place.  Penetrants doesn't
seem to weep past the
rings.  I've tried heating the pistons a few times with a
propane torch.
That hasn't helped much either.

I have the motor on a stand and alternate
soaking it from the top or bottom
every free days. I understand much patience
is required.  Eventually I may have
to use brute force and bust the out. Not
a big deal since the block will need to
bored out.  But at this point I'm
still hopeful that they can be removed intact.

Thanks,
Tim