[Fot] TR6 Timing

vintage.racer at comcast.net vintage.racer at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 22:26:50 MDT 2011

I've followed the recent series of emails on ignition timing for a TR6. I'd
like to ask for some opinions on a related issue. I have a 1969 TR6 with
triple Stromberg carb setup, Lucas distributor with Pertronix and vacuum
advance. Currently, timing is set at 4 degrees ATDC at 800 rpm with the vacuum
advance attached which is spec. The engine idles smoothly with good
acceleration. However, the engine seems to warm up almost too quickly
according to the water temp gauge and runs a bit warm. New temp sensor and
another gauge made no difference in the readings. If I warm the car up then
pull the vacuum line to the distributor there is no difference in idle speed
and using a timing light, the engine revs freely to about 24 degrees BTDC
(vacuum advance does not work). Attaching the vacuum line and the readings are
the same plus I can see the vacuum advance mechanism on the distributor
working when the throttle is blipped. I'm wondering if the vacuum advance is
working correctly and if the engine timing is too far retarded resulting in
the engine running warm while out cruising. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Gary