[Fot] Mallory distributor with Unilite electronic breakerless conversion

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Mon Sep 26 20:26:07 MDT 2011

I am in the process of installing one of these in my former 'dual point' Mallory distributor on my GT6.  The wiring diagram indicates a variable resistor should be installed in the ignition circuit, before the coil, of 0.7-2.0 ohms.  Mallory tech indicated that if the ignition coil itself has a resistance of 1.3-2.4 ohms, no supplemental resistor is needed.  they indicated that anything under 1.3 or over 2.4 was problematic.  At my last outing, chasing ignition problems, I tested two Bosch blue coils I had with someone else's multimeter and got a reading of 1.4 ohms, so I figured I  was all set.  Now, home in the garage, with my own multimeter, I am getting a reading of 3.4 ohms on the Bosch and 3.2 ohms on a brand new Lucas gold coil.

So, is my meter inaccurate?  If anyone can check a coil and tell me what they find, that  would be great.  Second, is anyone using the Unilite set-up, and if so, what combination of coil and resistance are you using?

Thanks!