[Fot] TR4 valve guide clearance

Greg Solow Gregmogdoc at surfnetusa.com
Mon Apr 2 19:10:50 MDT 2012

For stock cast iron guides the clearances listed in the shop manual are
fine. .0015 to .002" inlet and ..002 to .0025" on the exhaust. The engine
should run ok sith up to .0015" additional clearance on each valve.  The
problem that we have found with the iron guides is when using a high lift,
fast acting racing cam, with additional spring pressure, The guides tend to
wear very fast. We found up to .004" wear in 4 or 5 race weekends. Then the
valves stop sealing as well and the engine looses power.
    It does not sound like you have a setup that required a better quality
guide. Don't use valve stem seals and keep an eye on the wear as time
passes.

                                        Greg Solow