[Fot] Valve Lash While Engine is Hot

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Mon Apr 16 09:19:35 MDT 2012

 From some of these discussions, it seems that people think all cams
have the same ramp design, which is not true.  We just recently had a
discussion that the valve should open and close at the point where the
lift curve starts to take off (see link below).   You can make small
variations from this for tuning purposes, but you have to be careful.  I
once ran too much lash on a very aggressive cam.  It ran like a demon,
but not for long.  The result was a broken rocker shaft and 5 bent
pushrods.  As for hot or cold settings.  I have not done any systematic
measurements, but have not found a big difference for our engines.
Larry