[Fot] crank float

Bill Tobin william.tobin31 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 29 18:52:39 MDT 2013

Hi Gang, I'm putting my TR6 engine together and had a question about the
crankshaft thrust bearings.
I know Cas had an article in one of his books about using a Toyota setup. I
was talking to Dave at TRF and he mentioned pinning the thrust brearings.
Anybody done this?
I was thinking about setting my block in my drill press (it's a Powermatic 20
inch and will handle it) and drilling two holes in the back of the block,
where the thrust washers (bearings) are fitted. Then install two 3/32 roll
pins to retain the bearings.
The drill press would keep things level and straight. I already drilled two
holes in an old thrust bearing and plan to use it as a template.
I've never had any problems but hear about the thrust bearings falling out. It
seems that if the clearances are right, this wouldn't happen.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Bill