[Fot] [6pack] A-Type O/D Issue

Joe Alexander n197tr4 at cs.com
Sun Nov 24 11:06:02 MST 2013

I remember standing unit on the tail end in a five gallon plastic bucket for
assembly.

It stabilized the unit quite nicely.

I don't remember having a difficult time making spline alignment, but I was
either lucky or the bucket made a difference.

Joe A
Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 24, 2013, at 11:54 AM, Larry Young <cartravel at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> Welcome to the club.  You should read the article that Sam Clark and I have
at http://www.vtr.org/maintain-index.shtml.  We stand it up on the tail end so
the splines will not move relative to each other.  Another tip not in the
article is to first do it without springs to get the splines lined up.  Then
do it with the springs, making sure they are all in the right places.  It is
still difficult.  Maybe someone else has a better way, but this has worked for
us (eventually).  Many adapter plates have been broken, so be careful.
> Larry
>
>> On 11/24/2013 10:18 AM, Glenn Franco wrote:
>> Hi
>> I'm having a $!X?!! of a time installing our rebuild A-type overdrive to
our transmissions output shaft.
>> Numerous attempts to line up the 2 female splines in the O/D have resulted
in zero success.
>> Every time I line up the splines they move out of position any time the
trans is installed.
>> It's hard to line up these splines after the overdrive is assembled and it
always moves out of position as soon as it's all put together.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/cartravel@pobox.com