[Fot] Nicely put Jason!

Chuck Gee chasgee at aol.com
Wed Sep 11 10:43:48 MDT 2013

All,

Nicely put Jason!  It was a pleasure to meet and race with you, for as little as it lasted anyway.
Mike and I had a great time.  We only lost two trailer tires on the way over (decided to replace them all after that, sometimes when you gamble, you lose) and besides the small engine problem I had, it was a great success.  Unfortunately, it was not fixable at the track because of some previous custom fixes I had done.  I guess they weren't successful.  Time to build a spare motor.

I enjoyed seeing the FOT guys I knew again, putting some faces with the new names, and hanging out with some old friends like Kas, Peg, Tami and John Frymark, the Barkers, the Knights and the Weins.  Everyone made me feel welcome, even though I tend to make that difficult at times!

It was great to meet Christian and watch him drive the TR8 very well.  I was almost like he didn't own the car (oh, wait...).  He also enlightened me on how to race in the rain, information I could have used before the Portland Kastner Cup.

Tony Drews, you rock!  I think you ran in every race you could have, including the one in the rain that most ran away from.  Very impressive driving and a tribute to your car prep.

I also got to meet Peter Egan up at the food place.  I was hoping he'd be there and enjoyed my brief conversation with him.  I don't read much of his Road and Track stuff, but do follow his writing at Cycle World religiously.  Hopefully nothing changes there for him.

Of course, what would a weekend at Road America be without brats!  The picture below illustrates what John, Mike, and I had for a late lunch on Sunday, just before they closed up.  I look forward to coming back just to have them again.

Congratulations Ken on a well deserved win.  I remember when you would come by the pits at VARA races just talking about the car you were building, when you would leave a race in disgust with mechanical gremlins, and when you started running up front and winning.  Your car and driving are impeccable and I certainly hope you decide to hang it up so I can win a race again.

Thanks Joe for putting this thing together.  I look forward to a similar, high level event next year in Texas!

Chuck