[Fot] Fwd: One Lap of America 2014 Jim Roberts

Joe Alexander n197tr4 at cs.com
Fri Feb 28 14:58:19 MST 2014

FOT east coasters.

If you ever wanted to participate in One Lap of America, here is your chance.

This would be as transit driver for a 2000 Corvette by experience One Lap
driver.

It ends about the time that the Kastner Cup starts up.

Anyway, it's a hoot....if you are an enthusiast with masochist tendencies.

Joe Alexander
645 1st Street
Jesup, IA 50648
The-vintage-racer.com
Gasketinnovations.com
Cell:  319.464.4711

> Subject: One Lap of America 2014 Jim Roberts
>

> Subject:  One Lap of America 2014
>
> Hey Joe,
>

>   I thought I would send you an email to give you an overview of some of the
details.  Feel free to give me a call on my cell with any questions or to
discuss this further.  We are running a heavily modified 2000 Corvette and I
consider us one of the budget team without the seemingly unlimited funds of
many of other teams.  I mention the heavily modified since that means a
stiffer/tighter/rougher type suspension, a heavy clutch, a lumpy cam and a
louder sound, just so you know what you will be driving.  It is streetable but
courser than stock, and still has regular seats and carpeting in.

>       Here is the information if you are interested in participating with me
in May.  I am in need of a non smoking Transit Driver, who will help with
highway miles, not the competition miles.  Rick Stauffer had a great time last
year but will not be able to go this year.  For a quick overview, we will
leave Mount Joy, Pa. for South Bend on Thursday, May 1st, (or meet there on
Friday morning) and finish the event on Saturday, May 10th.  The event
distance is about 3500 miles and the total distance will be about 5,000 miles
including my trip from Pa. to South Bend and back.  The new schedule has come
out and it will be around the eastern US.  During the event we will visit
tracks in Indiana, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, New
Jersey Ohio and Michigan then back to Indiana.  At most tracks I will compete
in two events then pack up the car and head 500 plus miles to the next track
for the next days competition.  I will do all the competition driving and you
will help to share the highway driving, help pack/unpack the car, help
maintain the car, check brakes, oil, tires etc.  As you know there is some
down time at the tracks and you can meet some very interesting people and
participants and hear/share stories etc.  The main thing is having the stamina
to last till 11pm / midnight or later (sharing) the driving to the next event.

>      If you are interested, send me an email at jimbobcorv at comcast.net or
give me a call on my cell at 717-572-0110 as soon as possible. If you are not
interested but know someone who might like to, spread the word.  Your cost
would be $1300 out of a $7,500 budget, plus buy your own meals on the trip
(usually fast food), and maybe a bus or plane ticket home if something
breaks;^)  In addition, all participants must be a member of NASA (National
Auto Sports Association), I think about $50, and have an insurance policy
showing $500,000 liability coverage. If yours is less than that it can be
increased for a fairly small amount.  I would need a copy of your drivers
license, NASA membership card and Insurance cover page showing the amount of
coverage to send in to One Lap.  One other possible cost is the yearbook of
the event and if you want one it will cost you about $120.   BTW, we each pay
for our own traffic tickets, if any (never had any yet).  Some of the costs in
the budget are registration @ $3000 and the rules state I must buy the tires
for the event from Tire Rack and I will also pay for motels, tolls and fuel,
brakes, repairs etc on the trip.

> I am not much of a journalist but I have maintained a blog for the last 5
years.  The blog address is http://onelapadventure.blogspot.com  where you can
read my postings from the past events.  To see older posts click on older
posts at the bottom of the page.  One other note, we raised a almost three
thousand dollars for the Pa. Breast Cancer Coalition each year for the last 3
years and have committed to do the same this year.  We will put a sticker on
the car for anyone who donates $10 or more to the cause, either in their own
name or in honor of or in memorial to someone.  I would hope my co-driver can
help raise at least a few dollars for this effort.

>      Think about it and let me know as soon as possible either way, or give
me a call if you have questions.