[Fot] GT6 cooling

Jason Ostrowski jason at multivintage.com
Mon Feb 10 22:20:47 MST 2014

Sorry this if this comes through twice,

Vince, I would not recommend using the stock sized radiator for anything
but the street,
not enough volume for the race car.
The radiator needs to be big.

AND originally to Ed,
First of all, I can tell you that unless you have just won an SCCA National
Championship... 1 or 2 races on a GT6 race motor is not normal by any
preparation standards.
With normal and typical maintance You should be able to get a full season
of racing out of any GT6 race car.
I obviously cannot tell anything  about the internals of your motor build.
Assuming you have reliable motor and in terms of cooling.
Surprise! I agree with Kas.
I has to be huge.
Every successful GT6 racer I have known has gone through a series of making
it bigger and bigger.

Both of the cars I race have always used a large volume and pretty simple
set-up containing the following components:
No fan,
No alternator,
Perfect Shrouding,
Oversized and lengthened hoses,
Some General Flow UPwards (like at least to the valve cover) and REARwards
to main header tank and FILL point.
Then, Another overflow tank beyond that, and mounted in the battery box,

In Terms of filling (sorry I don't have any exact #s on Volume) but,
I Start with a 5 gallon Bucket and a huge funnel,
Stand high and pour from high,
I have heard this is a particularly important part of (especially with the
GT6 race motor)
The water needs the high pressure of a steady 5 gallon pour to get fully
drunk.

I just use water and some Redline water wetter

This set up has proven reliable.
(Photos available on request)

I would Add that typically I would guess I run a bit hotter than Scott,
over 200 for sure if it running right

Jason Ostrowski
Friendly Ghost Racing
Triumph GT6+ racecars.