[Fot] Fwd: Shell/Ferrari Commercial

Mike Mehl mike.mehl at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 21:02:57 MST 2014

Ted asked me to chime in on this one.  My dad Leo was the one who orchestrated
and put together the Goodyear Ferrari commercial.  Mr Ferrari did not do
commercials especially for Americans.  He would not do the commercial unless
dad was there.  I am guessing dad will have detail in his book.  When we lived
in England dad built a relationship with Mr. Ferrari that carried on till his
death.  Dad had a meeting with him every year even when they switched to
Pirelli in the early 80s.  To put that in perspective the Pope went to see him
every year too.  On one visit Mr. Ferrari gave dad two 18 caret gold watches.
One for his wife (mom) and one for his mistress.  He just assumed that dad had
a mistress.  Ferrari and the F1 team were critical to Goodyear.  When the F40
came out Goodyear made the tires in the racing division and supplied them at
no cost just to have them on the car.  The tires were so advanced at the time
the only place they could
 be made was in the race tire factory in Akron.  As a kid living in England
and then back to US we had a long list of racers at the house.  I really never
said much to any of my friends at the time because they would not believe me.
The first race I ever attended was the 1969 British GP.  I have a photo of me
as an 7 year old holding Jackie Stewart's winning trophy right after the
race.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:35 PM, "robertten1 at aol.com"