[Fot] HS6 float bowl attachment bolt

Greg And Alison Blake ablake2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 17 11:12:55 MST 2014

Looks like a rubber washer under the bolt head in the moss catalog. Is that
right or should it be more like a bushing slightly longer than the bore in the
carb body?

> On Feb 17, 2014, at 12:03 PM, "Barr, Scott" <sbarr at McCarty-Law.com> wrote:
>
> Also important to note that there is a rubber isolator in there.  Bolting it
together without the rubber isolator will foam your fuel and cause a high revs
miss.

> Scott B.

Behalf Of Greg And Alison Blake
> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 12:02 PM
> To: FoT Triumph
> Subject: [Fot] HS6 float bowl attachment bolt
>
> Eagle eye Pops caught a serious oversight on my part the other day. We were
working on safety improvements on the 3 and he happened to look under the
hood. The rear float was dangling by the fuel supply and safety wired jet
tube, the bolt that attaches it to the carb body was missing. This might
explain the slight miss I experienced on the last few laps at TWS in
December.

> I heard from a few tractor motor racers that they have had a similar issue.
So questions for the list:

> How many have found this problem?
> Where did the bolt shear?
> What did you do to keep it from happening again?
>
> BYW. Mine sheared just inside the threads of the float so I get to try and
use an ease out to save the float bowl. Luckily Pops had a spare float bowl to
put in service for this weekend. The bolt looks like a grade 5 7/16-20 x 2". I
think the factor bolt had a shoulder diameter that matched the carb body. That
might help support the bolt by reducing the length it cantilevers from its
support point. I don't know if the original bolts are available.