[Fot] HS6 float bowl attachment bolt

Dean Tetterton tr3a58 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 17 16:34:21 MST 2014

It will help a lot to use a set of Weber DCOE soft mounts
between the carbs and intake. One carb set will take care
of a set of SU's. The harmonics at 5200 cause a lot of shaking
and I had float bowls break off on HS6's. The soft mounts
cured the problem.

I also added a brace from the intake to the edge of the oil pan.

Dean T.

On Feb 17, 2014, at 6:27 PM, <rkramer3 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Nope, it won't work, the shoulder is too long and any vibration means fuel
frothing.

> ---- Duncan Charlton <duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Greg,
>>
>> In the short term you might be able to get the bolt as an AN aircraft
>> bolt from an Fastenal (they have a few locations in Austin). AN hardware
>> is typically grade 5 and includes shouldered bolts, close tolerance
>> bolts, etc. including some pretty unusual shapes and sizes.
>>
>> Duncan
>>
>> On 2/17/14, 12:01 PM, Greg And Alison Blake wrote:
>>> Eagle eye Pops caught a serious oversight on my part the other day. We
were
>>> working on safety improvements on the 3 and he happened to look under the
>>> hood. The rear float was dangling by the fuel supply and safety wired jet
>>> tube, the bolt that attaches it to the carb body was missing. This might
>>> explain the slight miss I experienced on the last few laps at TWS in
>>> December.
>>>
>>> I heard from a few tractor motor racers that they have had a similar
issue. So
>>> questions for the list:
>>>
>>> How many have found this problem?
>>> Where did the bolt shear?
>>> What did you do to keep it from happening again?
>>>
>>> BYW. Mine sheared just inside the threads of the float so I get to try and
use
>>> an ease out to save the float bowl. Luckily Pops had a spare float bowl to
put
>>> in service for this weekend. The bolt looks like a grade 5 7/16-20 x 2".
>>> think the factor bolt had a shoulder diameter that matched the carb body.
That

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/duncan.charlton54@gmail.com
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/rkramer3@austin.rr.com