[Fot] Steel Connecting Rods for a TR6

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Tue Feb 25 10:25:37 MST 2014

Hi,

My response: you pays yer money and yous take yer chances.

Put another way: 4340 steel... alloys list a range of properties. I know
with Carillo I'm getting real 4340 steel and it's not just making the min.
spec - it's the real deal. The Pac-Rim parts are notorious for just-barely
meeting specs like 4340 steel,

I also notice the specs don't actually list the weight. This is crucial
information if the motor is going to spin fast. I'd def. get that before
even thinking about these. Why spend money on parts unless you need them
or they provide a benefit that you can't get with the parts that you have?
With rods, you want stronger first and then lightness as well as
dimensional stability...

ARP fasteners - well, those should be okay.

;-)

But really - if you're building a motor and thinking about stronger rods,
I'm guessing you're about to spend at least $8k plus or minus. IF the rods
break, you're out every cent that you put into the block unless you can
salvage the pistons cuz just about everything else in the block would be
destroyed if you chuck a rod.

If that sort of "cost" settles okay with you, I say "go for it".

I haven't seen any real testimony to this part, but I'm fairly sure this
topic has come up on FOT before and the consensus was more or less "run
away".

Regards,
rml