[Fot] Bending Lexan

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 06:35:54 MST 2014

If you run out of options, it's not that hard to do it yourself.  I made
a leading-edge lens for a landing light on an airplane and it turned out
perfect.  You don't have to get it very hot but you do have to drive out
the moisture to avoid forming bubbles.  Make it an inch or two bigger
than the final dimensions because the edges will end up wavy if using
only a male mold.  Unlike plexiglass you can cut it with a reciprocating
saw without worrying about cracking it. Clean up the edges with a file
and polish if you want to.  Plenty of info here:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/30224-How-do-you-bend-Lexan-or-polycarbonate
.  There is mention of bending Lexan by using solvents but without
testing I wouldn't try it on a full-size piece. Hydrocarbons cause it to
craze badly so never spill fuel on it...

Duncan