[Fot] Oil pressure and tolerance on valve clearance

Tim Murphy timmurph at fastbytes.com
Mon Jun 2 20:54:26 MDT 2014

What oil pressure is typical or desired for the TR4 engine?  When the engine
is up to temperature, at 3000 to 6000 RPM (typical racing revs) we are
running 50 PSI.

I was just checking the valve clearance and again I've wondered why a
tolerance is never given for the clearance.  The only time I've ever seen a
tolerance given was for a 1975 Honda Civic 1200cc engine I rebuilt and the
clearance was +0.010 /- 0.001.  that made sense but it's the only time I've
seen it in a manual or any place else.  Does +0.001/-0.001 really make a
difference or am I missing something here?

The questions are mainly an engineering curiosity.

Thanks,

Tim Murphy

1961 TR4 #317

[demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send plain text.]