[Fot] INDY

Bill Tobin william.tobin31 at verizon.net
Mon Jun 9 20:36:53 MDT 2014

WOW!!!!!!!
That was one of the best weekends I ever spent anywhere!
The first time I headed down the front straightaway was incredible; chills
still go up my spine!
There were a few teething problems, but I think it went very well. SVRA now
has a 3 year contract with INDY, with a possible 2 year extension. At the
driver's meeting, the SVRA guy said that IMS wasn't sure what to make of the
vintage bunch! 700 cars. There was a very large crowd Sat and any spectators I
spoke with were very impressed.
The road course is quite challenging and fun. The oval is.....INDY. I was at
5000 in 5th and still climbing when wisdom set in during our oval session.
While waiting on the grid before one race, Parnelli hisself came along in a
golf cart and shook every driver's hand and wished them luck. Nice touch.
I talked with him earlier for several minutes while waiting to get a golf
cart, then later I gave him some maple syrup and an old Sports Car Graphic
with his picture in it. He autographed another magazine with him on the cover.
Nice guy.
It gets better: while standing in line for lunch Fri with 3 friends, a very
classy lady came by and said Hi to one of the guys, Jack Deren. I bought her
lunch and she joined us for nearly an hour, chatting and answering our many
questions. Very personable. We talked racing, not politics, and she was very
friendly. Janet Guthrie. Very impressive.
The assortment of cars was mind boggling. A great event. I'm still pumped!
WOW!
Bill