[Fot] Valve Clearance, sorry for long winded question

Michael Moore mmoore at mtmcpafirm.com
Sun Jun 29 13:18:54 MDT 2014

What would be the effect of sticking valves, not catastrophic in nature.

At end of straight, every run, last week at Mosport, #4 cylinder went cold and
I had to pull over and wait a minute for it to come back, sometimes turning it
off.

At track I changed fuel lines to split to each carb, change facet fuel pumps,
removed regulator, rebuilt rear card, put in new distributor, cap, peteronix,
coil and swapped wire with some old used ones. Nothing worked.

After weekend found the top of #8 push rod came off when I removed rockers and
rod was slightly bent. Engine builder thinks top coming loose was cause as it
may have been jamming up and holding valve open

Installed new carter pump, new regulator, and Y splitter at home.

Put it in dyno the other night, after replacing rods, happened 1st pull again,
then we switched plug wires, and could not get it to occur again.

However, at high rpm, say over 4500, when accelerating hard, it would start to
break up.

We seemed to solve some of the problem with needle swaps and adjustments. But
I wonder if at high rpms valves are binding.

Builder has great reputation, I trust him, he has been helping for no charge.
he removed some valve springs and sees no signs of a sticking valve.

Thanks
Mike

62 TR4, Race car
63 TR4, Street car

Mike & Becky Moore
6050 Ruhl Road
Fairview, PA 16415

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image001.gif]