[Fot] TR4 Valve Guide Clearance

Marcel Van Mulders van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be
Sat Jun 28 14:07:07 MDT 2014

Ed,
I bought the cylinderhead from an englishman, Jon Ellison, before that I had
one from Racetorations, both with bronze valve guides.
I don't know who actually did the work on these cylinderheads.
When bronze guides are being installed, I believe the middle part gets
narrower because that part is clenched in the cylinderhead : this will not
show up by rocking the valve, so I wonder how the clearance is measured : it
can't be done by rocking the valve, maybe bij using an adjustable reaming
tool? Maybe I've been lucky but so far I didn't have any sticking valve. If
the diameter of the bronze guides is reamed after fitting, to the original
diameter as it was before fitting, won't that be sufficient? Bronze alloy
guides must have advantages too, not only drawbacks?
Marcel

  _____