[Fot] Al-Fin Drums

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 17:02:26 MST 2014

Marcel,

Maybe those were a very, very rare factory option.  The drum-braked 1956 TR3 I
restored (TS9848-L-O) in the 1980s had Alfin drums on the front and I am
positive they were radial fins (i.e.: if you are looking at the drum while
alongside the car, you are looking at the edges of the fins).  They looked a
lot like the Datsun drums.  Since the car had iron drums on the back I can't
say what those would have looked like but I would be surprised if they were of
a different-looking design.

Duncan
(Texas)

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Marcel Van Mulders" <van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be>
> Subject: Re: [Fot] Al-Fin Drums
> Date: March 5, 2014 at 3:00:49 PM CST
> To: "'John Styduhar'" <johnstydo at gmail.com>
> Cc: fot at autox.team.net
>
> Hi John,
> I only wrote down the comment in the Moss UK TR2-TR4A catalogue (paga A5)
> stating that their circumferential finned Alfin drums are "reproductions of
> the rare factory option". Maybe the early (TR2) drums were made like that,
> just like other sports cars of that time(Jaguar i.e.)
> I used both the Moss drums with rather small radially fins and their later
> circumferential finned drums, the latter are much stronger and are
> performing better. I believe taht the holes are promoting air circulation
in
> the drums, the pressure in the brake lines to the rear are 50-60 % higher
> than to the front, without brake fadeing (chelated metal linings)
> Marcel, Belgium.
>
>  _____

Department.