[Fot] Al-Fin Drums

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 5 17:51:40 MST 2014

> The
> drum-braked 1956 TR3 I
> restored (TS9848-L-O) in the 1980s had Alfin drums on the
> front and I am
> positive they were radial fins (i.e.: if you are looking at
> the drum while
> alongside the car, you are looking at the edges of the fins).

Maybe we are getting confused over terms?  That description is what I would call "circumferential" fins, meaning they run along the
circumference (around) the drum.

>  They looked a lot like the Datsun drums.

Maybe the Datsun drums aren't all the same either?  The Datsun drums that I have (actually aftermarket replacements) have fins that
run the short way across the drum.

I found a nice set of photos on GoMog
http://tinyurl.com/k5q5gtn
Obviously those are Morgan drums with 5 studs, but other than the stud holes, the "Datsun" photo looks exactly like the ones I have;
while the "Alfin" photo looks exactly like photos I have seen of early TRs with Alfin drums.

PS, Don, the front of TS9848LO would also have been 10" drums.  Although the Lockheed brakes were completely different, those drums
would actually fit the rear of your (and my) TR3 with 10" rear Girling drums.  The iron drums were the same part number (10" front &
10" rear).

Randall