[Fot] Al-Fin Drums

BillDentin at aol.com BillDentin at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 08:09:12 MST 2014

In a message dated 03/05/2014 6:51:44 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

> Maybe we are getting confused over terms?  That description is what I
> would call "circumferential" fins, meaning they run along the
> circumference (around) the drum.
>
> Maybe the Datsun drums aren't all the same either?  The Datsun drums that
> I have (actually aftermarket replacements) have fins that
> run the short way across the drum.

I have 'vintage' 10" alfin drums on my early TR3 race car, and the fins run
the short way perpendicular to the circumference.  I believe these drums
were the after market variety which were available from TRIUMPH dealers back
in the day along with other competition options.  I also have reason to
believe that they were made in Italy.

Someone, Ken Gillanders I think, once told me that the 10" alfin drums that
actually came from the TRIUMPH factory were very, very rare and perhaps as
few as forty-eight sets were made.  That's pretty rare.  Ken, of course, has
a historically significant TR2 that set records as a drag racer.  It has
10" alfins on all four corners, but I am unaware if they are that very rare
TRIUMPH variety.  If Ken still monitors the list, maybe he'll chime in with
some input.

Bill Dentinger