[Fot] Duke Engines

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 06:46:38 MDT 2014

Hi Michael,

We're not too far from being able to see whether its complexity makes it
impractical to operate or produce. Since Mike is building a physical
model, he's encountering many of the production obstacles, so he can
finesse the finer details as he goes along.  Perhaps many parts =
unacceptably higher cost; however I think there are only two types of
bell cranks used.  It may be an imperfect comparison, but a Wankel
rotary has a low parts count and very few moving parts but as far as I
know isn't any cheaper to produce.  The different packaging requirements
obviously create a drawback.

Mike did not start from the question, "how do I remove the side loads on
the pistons?"  I think if you asked him about that, he would say that it
was a side benefit of the arrangement.  Note that, except for two, the
bearing surfaces all are essentially wrist-pin bearings which rock back
and forth rather than rotate -- and this is where the expected big gains
are. Wrist pin bushings get by with a little splash of lubrication and
don't fail very often.  They produce much less heat than the
oil-shearing action of the rod big ends and mains.  Lowered power loss
through the bearings is where his claims of greater efficiency come
from.  Lowered lubrication requirements (fewer bearings requiring a
pressurized oil supply) suggests lower power loss due to oil pumping.
Lowered heat production by the wrist pins means cooling requirements are
lower, so a smaller cooling system should be required; in fact, I wonder
if only the heads will require water-cooling for best efficiency.  Less
mass in the car means lighter brakes and tires, etc.

I'm curious about your suggestion about a destructive rocking couple.
I'm not educated enough about these things to recognize it in this
design.  Note that the opposing pistons move in opposing directions,
unlike the usual flat-4 boxer engine.  Wouldn't this completely cancel
out the rocking couple?

Keep in mind that the animation on the home page is just to get across
the concept and doesn't necessarily represent the relative dimensions,
and therefore mass, of the internal parts.  Valve actuation is by
pushrod, by the way -- when I last spoke to him I think he was using two
camshafts to better fit the layout.

Duncan