[Fot] Head Gasket questions

Diesel Performance Parts - Info info at dieselperformanceparts.com
Tue May 20 11:18:41 MDT 2014

Afternoon Membership,

I need some help.  Got a race 1500 that keeps popping the head gasket. It's
decked and is using the Payen AK520 gasket. When I shop around for gaskets for
the 1300-1500 non recessed blocks there are two different Payen gaskets part
numbers that are available  the AK520  and an AK260.  Does anyone know what
the difference is and if I should be using the AK260.  I got the engine with a
car and the AK520 is what was on it when it popped the first time so I
replaced it with the same thing. The deck is flat and so is the head.  I see
maybe a little blow by on #4 near the hole that is in the block that is
approx. 3/8" deep and 3/8" round that is a dead end hole.  Number 1 has the
same hole in the same place as well. Must be there for manufacturing purposes
as it serves no use that I can see.  The #4 fire ring is really close to that
hole and it looks like maybe it let it lift there and then pressurized the
coolant system????

So got 2 questions, what the diff between a AK 520 and an AK260 and which
should I use???
Should I JB Weld up the two holes and dress them flat to eliminate that as
being a gasket failure area??

Thanks!!

Mark Craig
Diesel Performance Parts, INC.