[Fot] J type overdrive pump

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Thu May 22 16:28:18 MDT 2014

I'm helping a friend with a J type overdrive in a TR6.  The old one
suffered a broken transmission output shaft inside the overdrive. It was
trashed so we are using a Volvo unit that I happened to have.  I tore it
down part way, but it was so clean I didn't take it all the way.  We
replaced most of the rubber o-rings, rebuilt the tranny with a new
output shaft and put it on my test stand. The solenoid clicks when 12v
is applied, but it does not develop pressure.  I am much more familiar
with the A type than the J type, so I need help.  I took the pressure
gauge off and when I spin the overrdrive  it first spit a few bubbles
and then oil came out very slowly.  It is my understanding that it
should always pump whether overdrive is engaged or not, so I believe
this confirms the pump is not pumping.  We have tried packing the pump
with vaseline, a trick that has worked in the past, but that has had no
effect.  Can anyone suggest how I should proceed to get this thing going?
Thanks,
Larry Young